boating safety missed

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should check your bilge before starting after fueling. at the very least sniff the air coming out of the blower hose

• Wow
Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

I kick everyone off the boat while fueling. Then lift the hatch and run the blower for at least 5 minutes (while I'm getting ice cream ). And do not let anyone back on until the motor is running....

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Wow! I fill up on land, maybe 3 times on the water in 30 years. You never know.
Thanks for sending out this reminder.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Same here. I fill up on land, but ck and run blower on ramp before starting.

A friend fixed up a new to him houseboat. Filled up on land. Went to ramp to put it in and nearly blew the back off the house boat. Ruined all his remodeling work. Thankfully he was not hurt. He found out later than one of the gas tanks had a crack in it. When filled gas started leaking out. Then he turned the key to start and BOOM. It happens. One cannot be to safe with gasoline.

Sandbar

In Ontario I'm pretty sure it is law for everyone to be off the boat while taking on fuel with nothing (including the blower) running. At miminum, that is the rule at our marina. Surely it is the same everywhere?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
When I launch, and after I secure my girl to the dock, I turn on both blowers. (one tube located high and one tube located low in the bilge)
Then I drive to the parking lot, by the time I get back everything is clear, and I'm good to go.
Never turn them off until I have shut the engine down, and turn them back on and wait before restarting again.