Depth while underway

Rtbraman

I have a 2019 Chaparral 277ssx with the garmin gps dash

As soon as I get on plane, the depth just flashes the same reading.

Is this normal?

I’m coming from a 16yr old sea ray and never had this issue, it accurately provided depth at any speed
Thanks from the newbie

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
From my experience, yes, normal. Depending on where the depth module sits in the boat, if when underway it does not have a uninterupted sight to the bottom you get that flashing reading. This can happen because air bubbles can stream under the boat when underway.

Rtbraman

Doc,
Just to clarify, my old Sea Ray would occasionally not provide a depth due to heavy chop, or super high speed, etc. However, with my Chaparral, it will NEVER provide a depth, except at idle speeds. Is this normal?

willbaker13

I don't have the ability for depth on my 10 year old Garmin but the depth on the multi-function gauge (temp, oil, depth, etc.) has always worked while underway no matter the speed or conditions.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Doc,
Just to clarify, my old Sea Ray would occasionally not provide a depth due to heavy chop, or super high speed, etc. However, with my Chaparral, it will NEVER provide a depth, except at idle speeds. Is this normal?
I think that you are were picking up air bubbles, my first unit on my girl did the same thing.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Doc,
I do not think that is normal. Only way to fix would be to change the location of the pick up unit. So you know where it is on your boat?

SST

My old fish finder with depth has worked continuously at any speed or depth. Unfortunately, it has “retired “ and a new one is needed. It appears from this thread that a gps unit does not provide depth while moving. Seems kind of a waste.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Wondering if you turn to the right then the left slowly if the depth would read? I had a four winns and it was that way due to placement of the transponder.

dan02gt

I have a 2019 Chaparral 277ssx with the garmin gps dash

As soon as I get on plane, the depth just flashes the same reading.

Is this normal?

I’m coming from a 16yr old sea ray and never had this issue, it accurately provided depth at any speed
Thanks from the newbie
Nope not normal. My Garmin EchoMap 74 connected to the factory Airmar B60 through hull transducer provides depth readings up until I hit mid 40s.
What transducer do you have?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I kept an eye on mine and saw that it read most of the time while underway. I was running 30 to 50 mph.

Rtbraman

Nope not normal. My Garmin EchoMap 74 connected to the factory Airmar B60 through hull transducer provides depth readings up until I hit mid 40s.
What transducer do you have?
Dan, thanks and good question, let me dive into the engine compartment and look (the transducer is a couple feet forward of the engine)

Rtbraman

I think that you are were picking up air bubbles, my first unit on my girl did the same thing.
Denny

Like I said my only frame of reference was my old sea ray and it was rock solid in depth finding except in heavy chop or over 40mph. I can’t understand the purpose of a depth gauge that only works at idle speed - seems useless to me

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Denny

Like I said my only frame of reference was my old sea ray and it was rock solid in depth finding except in heavy chop or over 40mph. I can’t understand the purpose of a depth gauge that only works at idle speed - seems useless to me
It is how and where you mount it. The culprit is the air bubbles, the depth finder will not work if there is air between the unit and the water. My first one was a thru-hull that I epoxied to hull under the engine and it worked at any speed. The one that I have now is a Loran fish finder and it is mounted on the out side of the transom, it is cylinder shaped and sticks down below the hull, and it also works at all speeds as far as I know, I seldom get over 23mph any more. I will have to check it out, my girl has not pulled sport toys in a good many years. Also it should be mounted away from the bubbles that are created by the propeller.