Engine slowing at high throttle

Janky

Been out wakeboarding and tubing many times this season. Yesterday evening was the first time anything weird happened. While dragging the kids on the tube, I am constantly working the engine from 2500-4000RPM.
At one point, the engine just started to slow down. I brought it back to neutral and I cold hear a subtle whining coming from the engine. It stopped after a few seconds. I mentioned to the kids something was going on with the boat and they said they smelled something funny at the end of the ride. We started again and the same thing happened after about 30 seconds of running. (though not sure about the whining). Took a 30 min break for food, then tried the tube again. Same thing after about a minute. It was evening so I told the kids we had to head back. Boat worked find cruising <10mph back to the dock.
Ideas?
* My gut feeling is high pressure fuel pump failure, but I don't know if it's common to 'fade' out.
* I would suggest fuel filter, but I just changed that over the winter so we've only run about 80 gals through it.
* I skimmed the manual and noticed a section about overheating which will slowly reduce RPM to 2500, but I recall checking the temp gauge and it was normal. Also, when I poked my head in the bilge, I did not notice increased heat.
* any other things to check?

Almost forgot the details:
2004 Chaparral 204SSi
Volvo Penta 5.0GXi (Chevy 305, fuel injected, electric fuel pump)

Janky

found a cool video on Youtube about checking the fuel pressure. Ordered the gauge. The video also showed pulling the fuel regulator and cleaning it's screen. I did this and it was really dirty. Seems to run ok, but haven't given it the full test with the kids yet. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Doc