Holiday joys

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Safe and happy days to all, while you are preparing for the holidays to come.
And may you already have, or get the boat of your dreams.
IMG_1876.JPG

Iggy

The guy who normal wraps my boat for the past two years has been doing it late. Rather than pay him for this year, I am having a cover made. Big bucks since it need to be custom made. But it will pay for itself after 6 or 7 years.

Just install a Victron shunt so I know the condition of my batteries at a glance. Well worth the $$

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The guy who normal wraps my boat for the past two years has been doing it late. Rather than pay him for this year, I am having a cover made. Big bucks since it need to be custom made. But it will pay for itself after 6 or 7 years.

Just install a Victron shunt so I know the condition of my batteries at a glance. Well worth the $$
Will this be a winter cover with poles to keep the snow off, if you have any?
what info will the shunt give you?

Iggy

Will this be a winter cover with poles to keep the snow off, if you have any?
what info will the shunt give you?

Yes there making a frame that can be used from year to year. https://www.kinderindustries.com

The shunt will monitor amps going in and out of the house battery. If I am on a mooring or not on shore power I need to know the level of my batteries. Its a simple device that is Bluetooth too. A two wire hookup. For over night trips, I need to know.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Yes there making a frame that can be used from year to year. https://www.kinderindustries.com

The shunt will monitor amps going in and out of the house battery. If I am on a mooring or not on shore power I need to know the level of my batteries. Its a simple device that is Bluetooth too. A two wire hookup. For over night trips, I need to know.
When you get it up, please post some pictures of it.
I know what you mean about keeping an eye on your batteries.
Along with my volt meter, I installed an amp gauge on my helm, it may be an over kill, but I like reading it both ways.
I have a power inverter that displays a digital voltage read out.
Does your shunt tell you how much life is left in your battery, like a volt meter does?
IMG_3518.JPG

Iggy

Yes, I will post pics. Its about 4 to 5 weeks out.

A volt meter will only give you a rough idea. Here is a link to what I installed. https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart
What this does is, monitors both Amps in and out, not voltage. So it watches and recorded the amps going out that is being consumed. When the charger is turned on, it does the same. Giving you a percentage of the battery's condition. In the setup, you must enter what type of battery. AGM, Flooded and alike. Plus the total Amp Hours of the bank it's monitoring.

Don't get me wrong, it does show Voltage. But its the amperage in both directions thats important. That being said, starting with a full charge with a 500 amp bank. With a constant drain the shunt will calculate how long the battery will last before going past its normal discharge point. In other words, flooded battery's should not go below 50% discharge without shorting its life. AGM battery's are around 40 to 30% depending on brand.

On charging, if the battery uses 200 amps and your charger is 40 amps. 5 hours. The shut will calculate time and real time percentage of the bank being charged.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I opened up the link, looks like a very nice unit. It sounds like you know every minute of your battery's life. Do you use it to monitor your house battery only, or does it monitor your start battery too?
I have an isolator that segregates my two batteries, that will charge only the battery that needs it. My inverter is set up on my house battery and monitors that battery's voltage all of the time. While using the inverter when the voltage drops to 10.5v the inverter will shut down to save the battery.

Iggy

It can only monitor one bank, in my case the house. But it can display only voltage of a 2nd bank. I am not really worried about the starting battery. Its the house that gets all the work. Powering the lights, pumps, fridge, stereo, charging phones and more.

They make a great inverter, Xantrex. In my basement I have a 2000 watt one from them. I had it on an older boat that I pulled out when I sold it. The biggest problem I had that there not ignition protected. So when I bought my Sig 290 the cables would need to be very heavy and long that I didn't use it. In other words, I could not install it in the engine compartment and their not water proof.

My newer boat came with a inverter/charger. So I should try to sell it.

If this helps?? On the isolator, the older ones used a diode so there was a 0.6 voltage drop. The newer ones don't have that problem so the batteries get a full charge.

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
My 1st inverter also was an Xantrex. My records show that I bought it in 2003 from West Marine for $479.00, which included the inverter, 3ft of blk and red #2 wire, and ends, and finally a 250amp fuse and holder.
Now you have to understand that, that was West Marine.
18 years later, and thanks to the internet, I bought the new and improved inverter direct from Xandrex for $417.00
And they have great customer service & tech support.

The Xantrex brand, is one of the most successful and popular brands of onboard AC power technology. ... With more than three decades of design, engineering and manufacturing experience, Xantrex power solutions offer an enviable mix of advanced technology and unmatched bankability.

Of course some reviews say they are crap, and don't waste your money.

My track record with them is all positive.