Hydraulic/oil leak from outdrive.

SST

My boat has been sitting in the driveway since I brought it home in April. Not a drip anywhere. I had to return to the hospital last week and I came home yesterday. The first thing I gravitated to was the boat and started my usual walk-around for inspection. I immediately saw “fluid” directly beneath the drive. I saw a tiny drop hanging from the scag. It’s red. It can’t be lower unit oil cuz that’s blue. I thought maybe the cylinders were leaking but all connections were dry. I don’t think that’s red either. Not certain. It appears to be a slow drip as there isn’t a puddle.
I don’t know what to think. Anybody’s opinion?
24277F39-7637-4222-B953-760F7FE28A77.jpeg

SST

After taking a longer view with a flashlight I see there is a weep hole below and to the right of the water intake grate. It appears that’s the originating point. Couldn’t find anything above it. Still, I’ve never seen this before.

The only thing that’s different between now and before is that after monsoon July I raised the front of the trailer so any water getting inside the boat would move toward the engine compartment (bilge). I checked the screws for lower unit oil draining and filling….dry.
I just don’t get it.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Son had a similar leak on his outdrive when the gasket on the fill hole was bad. Replaced the small gasket and now more leak. 5 minute job. May you be so lucky also.

SST

The weep hole is on the opposite side of the lower unit drain plugs. The drain plug seals are new and show no signs of leaking. Plus the gear oil is blue. Not red like what’s coming out of the weep hole. Although I haven’t seen a fresh drip in over a day.

Reactions: Doc

SST

I was sitting in the living room last night and the planet Jupiter came into view. As I watched it move across the sky I started thinking about what to do with my boat this season. The way I feel today I think I could easily put it in at the end of this month. But that also means I’d have to re-winterize it. I started running through my head on what I’d have to do. And suddenly it hits me! The fluid coming out of the weep hole isn’t hydraulic fluid but pink antifreeze. Pink not red. Although it was a pretty dark pink.

After winterizing the engine and before I trailer the boat for storage I usually pour a little bit of antifreeze down the propeller shaft just to make sure there is no pure water in there. While the boat has been home I lowered the outdrive ( not all the way) to ease tension on the bellows. Nothing dripped until I raised the trailer.

I thought here comes another repair more costly than surgery. I think I’m ok. Phew!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I believe that little hole is some sort of water drain. The only thing that I have ever seen come out of mine is water.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Also, did you see if your lower unit oil is still blue, or if it changed color after heating up?

SST

I haven’t run the engine since last years winterization. Although I could pull the lower unit drain plugs and see what comes out.