INSTRUMENT PANEL IS DIMLY LIT

LAKETIME

2004 Sunesta 252

My instrument panel is virtually impossible to read at night. My brother's 2006 Sunesta 254 had the same problem. He sold it before he fixed it. Is this a Chaparral-specific problem?
There is a rheostat in the center of the panel that changes the panel lighting from 'dimly lit' to 'completely dark"!!!
I'm wondering if it's the rheostat creating the problem???
Any other ideas?

LAKETIME

I have a 2003 Sig350. Here is a link to the wiring diagram (and the rest of the boat, actually). I'd imagine the dash/helm wiring is pretty similar between models of the same age. Specifically look at page 107 for the switch panel, and note the dimmer switch and the dimmer module.

Hi, ags,

It looks like you have a much more detailed parts guide than what I have, which is also the 'official' guide. I suppose the corporate folks didn't believe it was necessary for the Sunesta class??? There doesn't seem to be much similarity in the configurations of our instrument panels. Maybe I'll give the company a call... ;-)

LAKETIME

I just got another rheostat/capacitor from Cecil Marine (Dimmer switch 736-LD002). A rep told me that this is a very common switch for Chaparral boats. We'll see how it works...