LOOKING FOR A FUEL SENDING UNIT

LAKETIME

2004 Sunesta 252.

I was told by the local Chaparral dealer that many different types were used by Chaparral, so they could not give me a definite answer about the manufacturer of the sending unit.

I have pics of the unit:
-a very close look reveals a letter 'R' on the side of the unit.
-the depth of the tank, from the bottom to the inside top/ceiling, is about 16".
-the lever arm, which suspends the float, is about 14"

Does this look familiar to anyone???

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Chaparral Fuel Sending Unit2.JPG
    Chaparral Fuel Sending Unit2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • Chapparal Fuel Tank Depth.JPG
    Chapparal Fuel Tank Depth.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • Chaparral Fuel Sending Unit.JPG
    Chaparral Fuel Sending Unit.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • Chaparral Fuel Sending Unit Length.JPG
    Chaparral Fuel Sending Unit Length.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 58

LAKETIME

I talked to a rep at Moeller, asked him about the big 'R' logo, and he thought the sender might be a Rochester unit.

I looked up a Rochester 9371 (adjustable Reed-type), and their image is this:

1661185449197.png

I Iooked up the Moeller

(Moeller 035791-10 Fuel Sender-Reed 4in To 24in)​

adjustable unit on iBoats.com, and their image is this:

1661185559438.png

Same Manufacturer???

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
You can use any sender as long as you can adjust the length of the arm to match the depth of the tank. And as long as the ohm's on the gauge and sender match. As things get older for one reason or another it may be difficult or impossible to find the original. My girl is in her late 30's, a number of years ago I replaced the sending unit, and this season I replaced the gauge. As long as the ohm's match you are good to go.

My only advice is to do your research, and don't shop price. I always like to talk with the people that are selling what I am looking to buy.
And in your case, you only want to change it once.:)

Whenever I refuel I always top it off. I know the capacity of my tank, so I will refuel at different readings on the gauge and record it. Then I will subtract the used from the tank capacity. This will tell me how accurate my readings are, and when it is time to refuel. Running out of fuel on the water is no fun, and besides it is embarrassing.:bonk:

Last edited:

LAKETIME

Thanks, Denny,

I ended up ordering the Moeller unit that I displayed, as it is adjustable. I purchased from iBoats; I've done business with them before.
When I refuel, I always top it off; and, I typically do that every time I go out. This is crucial to me, since I have no ability to know my fuel capacity. For the most part, we just don't spend much time at high RPMs running around our little Lake Grapevine, TX. The most I've topped it off has been around 10 gallons (50 gal capacity). We spend the majority of our time lounging around in coves.
However, I still feel more comfortable knowing my fuel status... ;-))

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Denny,

I ended up ordering the Moeller unit that I displayed, as it is adjustable. I purchased from iBoats; I've done business with them before.
When I refuel, I always top it off; and, I typically do that every time I go out. This is crucial to me, since I have no ability to know my fuel capacity. For the most part, we just don't spend much time at high RPMs running around our little Lake Grapevine, TX. The most I've topped it off has been around 10 gallons (50 gal capacity). We spend the majority of our time lounging around in coves.
However, I still feel more comfortable knowing my fuel status... ;-))
Good, glad to here that everything worked out.