Raymarine transducer wire diameter?

I have a raymarine 12 inch Display and the accompanying transducer. I am going to feed a stainless steel wire spring around the cable to prevent Muskrat damage. Boat is four hours away. Does anyone know the diameter of this wire? It looks to be about 6mm or .250 Inch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-094358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-094358_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65

Iggy

If it was me, I would slice a rubber hose the length of the cable. Than open the hose and insert the cable. Use wire ties to keep the cable closed.

The size of the cable will not matter as long as the hose wraps around it. Come time to launch your boat, take the hose off and save it.

That's a pretty good idea but the issue for me is at the dock. We have Muskrat activity and they chew wires while the boat is docked. In 2011 the actually chewed the bellows and the trim wires and sunk my 30Ft Doral. It caused 25,000 in damages. I need something metal and I figure it will be a laborious task but twisting a stainless spring will be my best defense.

Iggy

Leave the hose on. Using stainless may cause electrolysis with other metals, like aluminum.

Leave the hose on. Using stainless may cause electrolysis with other metals, like aluminum.
Everything else , below the waterline, is stainless. I have good anodes which should minimize galvanic Corrosion. Muskrats will chew rubber so I have no real choice. Next year I will put a thru hull transducer on it.

Last edited: