Source for cockpit cover snaps

sktn77a

Hi All:

Several of the snaps on my 2004 204SSi cockpit cover have pulled off. It's a Taylor Made cover with Taylor Made snaps but at almost 20 years old some of them are pulling off. I have replaced them a couple of times but the only snaps I could get were really cheap and flimsy (some were labelled Taylor Made but weren't the same quality as the originals). I called both Taylor Made and Chaparral and both were incredibly unhelpful!

Anybody know where I can get some really good quality, sturdy snaps for the cover?

Thanks

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Go to a marine canvas shop and they will sell you S.S. ones, that will out last your cover.
If they won't, the shop that I help out at, will.

sktn77a

Thanks Denny. Been to all the local places - all they have is the cheap, chintzy ones. I might have found some "DOT" ones on ebay that llok a little better. If they don't work, I'll take you up on that offer.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Denny. Been to all the local places - all they have is the cheap, chintzy ones. I might have found some "DOT" ones on ebay that llok a little better. If they don't work, I'll take you up on that offer.
Ok, let me know how you make out.

chappypete

Hey Denny,
Not to jump in on your offer, but I would be interested in getting my hands on some of those snaps. Having the same issue Sktn. TM wasn’t too helpful on getting their snaps and seems all other sold out there are junk. Not sure why TM doesn’t sell any of their snaps.

sktn77a

ChappyPete: Just a word to the wise - DON'T get anything off ebay or Amazon labelled "Taylor Made". The packaging does, indeed say Taylor Made, but the snaps a the cheapest you can imagine and break off after one or two pulls!

chappypete

Lol. Yuuup. Already learned my lesson the first time few years back. Lol. They are garbage and don’t even think they’re SS. They lost their shine in matter of months. The original TM still look new, years later.

Iggy

Sailrite.com has everything from snaps, tools, canvus, stainless hardware and more. If they don't have it than you don't need it.

sktn77a

I'm coming to the conclusion that 90% of the success in installing these snaps is in the tool. In particular, the shape of the punch that locks the head tube into the snap ring.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
This is what we use on the commercial end.
You can get different fittings for different snaps.
The key to putting them on is to make sure that they are tight, if you don't they will pull out after awhile.
1654832169739.png

sktn77a

UPDATE:

Well, I ordered what looked like the top-quality heavy duty snaps off ebay. "PULL THE DOT" brand. I ordered two sets One had "PULL THE DOT" on both the cap (top) and the clasp (bottom), the other just had "DOT" on the clasp - the caps were all upside down so you couldn't see. Sure enough those with "PULL THE DOT" on both the top and the bottom were the study, heavy duty snaps. The others were the usual cheap ones.

Not cheap - $20 for 10 "PULL THE DOT" snaps, but hopefully worth it in longeavity.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Is this the snap you bought?
These are not the type that we generally up on cock pit covers.
Because you can only unsnap them from one direction.
If these are not what you are looking for, I can get you the ones that we use.

Last edited:

sktn77a

Thanks Denny:

Yes, I found that out the hard way. The "Pull the Dot" snap system isn't compatible with the standard snap system so these won't work with the studs on our boats. I was finally able to identify our snaps as "FASNAP" snaps. If you use these FASNAP snaps, great, if not I think they are available on Amazon or ebay.

Just closing the loop on this one for anyone else with missing snaps on their boat covers.

Keith

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
World of info out there, you just have to know where to look.
Plus it helps being somewhat connected to that world.:)