What is purpose of copper exhaust tube

jfkirby

Hi all, great to have a forum to go to now that the Chaparral site has shut down!

I'm getting ready to replace the exhaust manifolds and elbows on my 2000 205 sse with Mercruiser 5.0L EFI engine s/n 0L699446 and was wondering what the purpose is of the exhaust tube p/n 865100A01. This is a copper tube that runs from the top of the starboard exhaust manifold to the starboard side of the intake manifold and is inside a black sheath that appears to be a heat shield. I was able to find it in the mercury online parts manual (see below) but was unable to find any reference to it in the shop manual that I have. Obviously it's moving air between the exhaust and intake manifold, just not sure which direction (hot air from exhaust to intake, or cold air from intake to exhaust) and what the purpose is. It's not broken or anything, I was just wondering what the purpose of it is.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

1648651964222.png

WIngnut

That's your heat transfer tube which warms the choke thermostat on your 2 bbl. carb. No electric choke on these systems, so the tube steals some exhaust heat which acts upon the thermostatic choke coil. Item #2 on attachment.

Reactions: Doc