Windlass trouble….

unplugged

Horizon 900 Windlass deploys without issue. When retrieving, it moves very slow then stops, pulling in maybe 4”-6” of chain. Did some searching on the web and concluded that the solenoid is probably cooked. Replaced solenoid, still having the same issue. No change when using the foot pedals on the bow or the toggle at the helm. Has anyone had a similar issue?

unplugged

The one way clutch on the end of the motor shaft is jamming against the motor housing when retrieving the anchor. Subsequently stopping the motor. If the retrieve button his held too long, it heats up the wires and pops the breaker. I removed the windlass assembly last night, brought it home and tore it apart. With the gearing removed from the winch, the motor (with the clutch still on the shaft) spins both directions without issue. As soon as it’s mated with the corresponding gear, it jams. I suspect that the threads on the clutch shaft are damaged causing the lock up. With parts not available, my options are limited to replacing the entire unit.

unplugged

I purchased a Lewmar Pro-Series H1000 this morning. West Marine has a sale on them right now that beat out any internet price I could find.