Boating Memories

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Man, why would the captain allow anyone to ride in the bow going out through that mess? That is asking for trouble. Geez.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Why would any sane person go out in that mess to begin with.
The bow riders are designed to allow you to have a lot of people on a small boat at one time, and in most cases they are over loaded.
The bigger the bow rider the more people they pack on them.
There are boaters, and then there are people that have boats.

Iggy

I really don't think that bow riders should be used in the ocean. They can be swapped very quickly!!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if it if it is so much the boat, no matter the size or type, but the lack of education and seamanship on the part of the captain.
No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupide, along with ignorance is no excuse.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
New year, new adventures. Safety first when you are on the waters, and may the winds always be at your back.

Iggy

I don't know if it if it is so much the boat, no matter the size or type, but the lack of education and seamanship on the part of the captain.
No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupide, along with ignorance is no excuse.
Yep! I get it.

Sandbar

Why would any sane person go out in that mess to begin with.
The bow riders are designed to allow you to have a lot of people on a small boat at one time, and in most cases they are over loaded.
The bigger the bow rider the more people they pack on them.
There are boaters, and then there are people that have boats.
Agreed. Haulover inlet is infamous for it's rough waters.

There will always be some "cowboy" behind the wheel who feels a need to challenge the waters to stroke their ego. I would suspect that the majority of them go through there just to get on YouTube knowing full well that there will always be a camera rolling somewhere to capture their "conquest"...regardless of how stupid or risky it may be to them or their passengers.

For evidence of the stupidity, just look at those videos and count the number of boaters and passengers wearing lifejackets. And it seems, the bigger the boat, the bigger the ego and the fewer lifejackets present. It boggles the mind.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Agreed. Haulover inlet is infamous for it's rough waters.

There will always be some "cowboy" behind the wheel who feels a need to challenge the waters to stroke their ego. I would suspect that the majority of them go through there just to get on YouTube knowing full well that there will always be a camera rolling somewhere to capture their "conquest"...regardless of how stupid or risky it may be to them or their passengers.

For evidence of the stupidity, just look at those videos and count the number of boaters and passengers wearing lifejackets. And it seems, the bigger the boat, the bigger the ego and the fewer lifejackets present. It boggles the mind.
Lucky for that girl, think what could of happened had he decided to make a hard port turn.
Plus the other side of the coin are the people that thrive on that stuff as entertainment, not realizing the dangers the people could be in.
How small of a boat can you take on Lake Erie?

Although a boat does not exist that is big enough to handle Lake Erie - with safe boating conditions, the minimum size that I would recommend is 21 feet. And if you can afford it, buy a fiberglass boat. For safety and comfort, fiberglass boats (with closed bows) can't be beat.

Phillbo

Storm kicked up on my lake once while we were returning to the marina. The waves were so large I was taking water over the bow of my cruiser..... That was an interesting trip :)