1st time?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Don't know if this is a gag, or really happened.

(IT TAKES TIME TO LOAD)

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I suspect it really happened.
A friend of mine said if you want some good entertainment on any summer Saturday morning get a six pack of beer and go to the local boat ramp and just sit and watch. LOL Always something.

I went to the ramp one workday for lunch, to eat my lunch there. There was a ole feller trying to back his 22 foot boat down the ramp. After watching a bit I went over an asked if he wanted help. I offered to back it for him. He said he's sure apprecitate it. Then he said he was an over the road trucker years ago and the boat was just to short for what he was used to. Now, I don't know for sure but I thought BS on that one. I suppose he was just embarrished but why tell a tale like that?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I suspect it really happened.
A friend of mine said if you want some good entertainment on any summer Saturday morning get a six pack of beer and go to the local boat ramp and just sit and watch. LOL Always something.

I went to the ramp one workday for lunch, to eat my lunch there. There was a ole feller trying to back his 22 foot boat down the ramp. After watching a bit I went over an asked if he wanted help. I offered to back it for him. He said he's sure apprecitate it. Then he said he was an over the road trucker years ago and the boat was just to short for what he was used to. Now, I don't know for sure but I thought BS on that one. I suppose he was just embarrished but why tell a tale like that?
I believe that he was being honest. The longer the more forgiving. I have this short trailer for my 8' inflatable, when backing it up my driveway I
get it close, and then I unhook it and push it the rest of the way. If I move the steering wheel a 1/4 turn, the trailer goes side ways, right now.
Back in the day I could snake this trailer with my 15' girl anywhere she needed to go. I have been backing up my present unit for 30 yrs, and I am not as sure and accurate as I once was. Old people don't back up well, with or without a camera. Watch the show. :popcorn:

test078.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Way back when I had a full size conversion van and a four winns 200 horizon. Tricky backing with the van but I could do it. Then we bought a jet ski for the kids. OMG, you could not see it out the back of the van, only when it went to far to one side or the other. A nightmare to back that little trailer. I got used to it but the first few times were comical and frustrating mixed together.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
When the design of your car would let you, it was the right arm over the back of the seat, left hand on the wheel, right foot on the gas, left foot on the brake, and you were good to go.

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have always done it with my hand on the top of the wheel and turned the wheel in the opposite direction that I wanted the trailer to go.
The other way is to put your hand on the bottom and it will go in the direction your hand is moving.
I have tried it, I have been too long the other way and it doesn't work for me.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have always done it with my hand on the top of the wheel and turned the wheel in the opposite direction that I wanted the trailer to go.
The other way is to put your hand on the bottom and it will go in the direction your hand is moving.
I have tried it, I have been too long the other way and it doesn't work for me.
Same for me. I'm a left hand top of wheel backer. Works for me. Someone mentioned the bottom of the steering wheel method and that might be good for someone just learning but I don't need that at this point. Been backing for 4 decades now. Boy time flies. LOL

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Same for me. I'm a left hand top of wheel backer. Works for me. Someone mentioned the bottom of the steering wheel method and that might be good for someone just learning but I don't need that at this point. Been backing for 4 decades now. Boy time flies. LOL
Kind of hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Lol

SST

Most of my experience comes from working at the airport as a ground handler. Everyday I'd either tow an aircraft into the gate or push it out from the gate. When I worked in LGA, I would tow it down the taxiway and park it at the hard stand or tow it into the hanger. THAT was a bit nerve wracking because other planes were in the hanger too and you don't wanna be responsible for scratching them.

As for boat towing, I use the right hand for a left turn [going in reverse] and left hand for backing to the right. I always use my review mirrors for 95% of the move. If the required turn is sharp enough, I'll look out the window. To be honest, it kinda came naturally. I consider myself pretty good at it but I too have made a few errors. With my lengthy trailer, I have memorized the sight lines of the trailer relative to the truck. If I'm hauling ass forward and I see where the trailer is situated, I'll put the trailer in the same position when backing the trailer down the ramp. It goes straight.

Situational awareness.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Most of my experience comes from working at the airport as a ground handler. Everyday I'd either tow an aircraft into the gate or push it out from the gate. When I worked in LGA, I would tow it down the taxiway and park it at the hard stand or tow it into the hanger. THAT was a bit nerve wracking because other planes were in the hanger too and you don't wanna be responsible for scratching them.

As for boat towing, I use the right hand for a left turn [going in reverse] and left hand for backing to the right. I always use my review mirrors for 95% of the move. If the required turn is sharp enough, I'll look out the window. To be honest, it kinda came naturally. I consider myself pretty good at it but I too have made a few errors. With my lengthy trailer, I have memorized the sight lines of the trailer relative to the truck. If I'm hauling ass forward and I see where the trailer is situated, I'll put the trailer in the same position when backing the trailer down the ramp. It goes straight.

Situational awareness.
I like that, I will have to try that. I am good with my left mirror, but I do not trust my right mirror.

Sandbar

The key (I've found) to backing any length of trailer is having good sight lines and crawling. No need to rush because if you do, chances are it will take at least twice as long lol!

At our launch, the biggest problem is temporarily losing sight of where the trailer is pointing (wheels/fenders) as you back it down over the "hump" of the ramp. This is due to the steepness of the ramp. Crawling is advised for sure in that circumstance.

Phillbo

I always tell people learning to back a trailer to put there hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go.

I learned to launch a boat when I was about 9 so it's never an issue for me.

SST

Last season, I came across a truckers video on how they back into tight spaces. I decided to try the same thing. I have a large parking area down the street so I practiced what the truckers do. It was good practice. When I retrieve the boat out of storage, I will head to the parking lot and do some practicing just to "get the rust off." I don't remember the exact video but there are many of them to search.