A Little End of Season Project....

CruizinLG

We pulled the boat out last week for the season....which is when we empty out all of the storage, and give the boat a good cleaning. We found some residual water in the ski storage / locker compartment, which caused some of the items that we were storing to be really slimy / mildew. I bought some PVC trim at HD and created a grid to elevate our stuff off of the bottom. In case others are dealing with the same issue, I wanted to share what I did to address this.

It cost me less than $50 for 3 - 12' PVC trim pieces and a package of stainless steel screws. Unfortunately, I won't know if this will resolve our issues until next year, but I'm hoping for the best...🤞

The dilemma was trying to figure out the best way to make the structure so it could be installed and removed easily. Thought of a few different options but decided on the 'raked picket fence' approach. This enabled me to get a 86" long by 28" wide structure (about 90% assembled) through an opening less than 16". I then laid the original mat on top of the grid to help with even more air flow once we load up our stuff next spring.

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6965.jpg
    IMG_6965.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good idea.
They sell moisture absorbing bags that attract moisture. I'd put one or two of those in there also. Sorry, I cannot think of the name of them. My wife bought them somewhere. They work great.

J Kyle

Might try fishing some trimmer line down that drain to break up any blockage you might have.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks Doc. I'll look into the dry bags that you mentioned. Maybe you're referring to 'DampRid'?
Here is a pic of what we used. Same type product as damp rid. But this bag has a hanger and we just hung it up and it filled with moisture. Worked great.

moistureAbsorber.JPG

CruizinLG

Thanks Doc! That's a reasonable price for the dry bags - I'll give them a try.
And also thanks to J Kyle - I'm not sure if I have a partial blockage or just an issue with the draining design of the boat itself....but I will check that out.

CruizinLG

Where does the water come from?
Hi Denny,
Honestly, I can't say for sure, but I know the bow cover wasn't made perfectly so I'm sure we're getting water into the bow area during rain events and that's probably working its way down into the ski locker(s). I might ask a local canvas shop to address the bow cover next spring to fix that issue. But I don't know if that will resolve the water issue in the ski locker.