Anchor size for 276 owners

chappypete

Hey fellow chaparral owners. Finally found the website to replace the old chap forum. Still can’t believe they shut it down but it was definitely hijacked by spam & what not. Anyway, I’m in the market to replace my anchor on my 276ssx and can’t decide on size. I have the windless set up now. I’m looking at the Lewmar delta or DTX in SS and not sure what weight I’ve done my research and I’m thinking the 22lb Most of my anchoring is in mud/sand and no overnights but want an anchor that will hold once set. Any help would be appreciated.

P

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Hi Chappypete. Welcome to Net Boat Talk.
I am more than tickled to have so many from the chap site wander on over here. :tiphat:

I have a 288 Sunsation. Your Chap is probably a bit heavier than my sunny. Mine weighs 6k.
Here is the anchor I got for it and I think it's a bit big for it. Had a hard time stowing it in the front storage area.
But it works great for me and both boats are 28ft so I figured I'd share.
Here is what I bought along with a link to it.

AnchorForSunsation288.JPG

chappypete

Hey Doc,
Yeah, so glad to see this forum. I’m sure all from the chap site will eventually find their way here. Thnks for the pic and info. The dry weight for my boat is 6800lbs. Just wondering if anyone with a similar boat has the lewmar Delta or DTX on their setup.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

Not sure where you are located but it's the chain that makes the difference. Biggest anchor will not make a difference if it's not being held horizontal on the bottom by the chain.

chappypete

Yeah. I’m aware of the chain length ect. I currently have a windlass set up with the Manson supreme anchor galv which holds great but it’s god awful ugly sitting on my bow and for the boat anchoring I do, ie sandbars in local barnegat bay NJ water it’s doesn’t need to be commercial grade. I’m looking for a SS anchor that will hold for afternoon raft ups ect., I don’t do any overnights or off shore boating ect. It’s hard to tell the weight of my current Manson anchor but by the feel of it, I’m guessing in the 20+ lb range I’ll have to grab a scale and set it on it too see. Basically, I’m looking for a sexy anchor that’s functional. LOL

chappypete

Here’s my set up.

Attachments

• 33526CA5-E298-459E-A948-825D3D6DD46B.jpeg
    33526CA5-E298-459E-A948-825D3D6DD46B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • C17857E5-45BA-4D75-B0FC-B753FF84B16D.jpeg
    C17857E5-45BA-4D75-B0FC-B753FF84B16D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
This is what I have on my girl, and believe me it holds. And the roll bar is removable if you don't want it.
1652825211650.png

Iggy

This is what I have on my girl, and believe me it holds. And the roll bar is removable if you don't want it.
View attachment 1545

That looks like a Rocna. Rocna.com I have never heard of a sexy anchor. But a S.S. one will get scratched up from being deployed. The sand and rocks will not keep it shinny. Just saying...

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
That looks like a Rocna. Rocna.com I have never heard of a sexy anchor. But a S.S. one will get scratched up from being deployed. The sand and rocks will not keep it shinny. Just saying...
This one is made by Anchorlift, yes it is scratched up and and a little dull looking, but it looks a whole lot better then the galvanized one that I originally had. The thing about S.S. is you can buff and polish it, and from10ft away you not be able to see the scratches. Mine gets deployed about 50 times a season. I have had mine for several years now, and from a distance it still looks pretty good without ever being polished, I'll see if I can produce a present day photo.

Iggy

I just can't see myself spending that kind of money on an anchor. Hate to tell you what my last anchor cost me.

chappypete

Lol Sexy anchor Just looking to replace the unsightly Manson or Ronca, whichever it is, with something that looks aesthetically pleasing but also performs well. I try my hardest to keep my boat as pristine as possible, everything from rebuilding motor/outdrive, replacing upholstery to replacing rusted out fittings ect. I even had removed my boat arch this past winter and had it repainted as it was starting to bubble & flake from the salt. There are no rocks where I boat, just sand & muck. I’ve had this boat since 2013 and where new boat prices are for my same layout, I doubt I’ll be in the market for a new one. Lol

chappypete

I just can't see myself spending that kind of money on an anchor. Hate to tell you what my last anchor cost me.
I hear ya but just think where fuel prices are going this summer. You could buy 5 SS anchors for the amount of money you’ll be spending on fuel. Lol.

Iggy

Yep, I know diesel prices went way up. But now I am getting 1.75 mpg vs 1.25 with my old boat. Fuel is still the cheapest expense we have in boating.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Here are some numbers to compare.
I have always trailered and filled up on land.
My 1st full season with my girl was in 1993. All of the numbers have been rounded off.
1993 61 hrs run aver cost per gal 118.00 year end cost 316.00
2021 58 hrs run aver cost per gal 329.00 year end cost 1166.00

1993 average fuel consumption 4.6 GPH hrs on motor 297
2021 average fuel consumption 6.4 GPH hrs on motor 1899

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc