Another Sad Chaparral Story

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not picking on Chap, I really love mine, maybe it is because my girl is from a different era.
But while looking for something else, I ran across this.

I bought a new chaparral 21 h2o sport from sunrise marine. I had this boat for a couple months and all my seat cushions started to get tears in the corners. The dealer told me to turn it into the extended warranty that they sold me. Didn't tell me it only covers 2000 dollars. Dealer told me it covers total replacement. Big lie. They sent out the tech and he said the seat are designed wrong and it would happen again if he fixed it. Chaparral has been notified from myself and sunrise marine and admitted they don't see a problem except for the rips in the cushions. That's what I'm complaining about. The dealer also ripped a large whole in my captains seat and won't fix it. The tech wrote a large report and took 100 pictures. If I don't get this situation fixed I will be taking my report my pictures to every boat show I can find. The owners and supervisors don't even tell you there not fixing it they just don't call you back. This is sad. I've owned new boats all my life and have never had issues or been treated so poorly by a dealer or manufacturer like this. Chaparral please feel free to call me but I know you won't.

Phillbo

"I bought a new chaparral 21 h2o sport"

First mistake. Trying to go cheap and buying new.

dgiles

"I bought a new chaparral 21 h2o sport"

First mistake. Trying to go cheap and buying new.
Sorry but that answer doesn't cut it. Cheap or high end, there is zero excuse for failure in the first year. Otherwise, advertise that. Cheap gets you lower quality that may not last as long, less powerful engines, cheaper legs, etc but in no way does that justify workmanship failures in a few months. If a manufacturer feels that they can sell a product cheaper to get more business, they still need to stand behind it or go back to charging more and sell less.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Back in the day when quality and craftmanship went hand in hand, there was a boat manufacturer that made Mark Twain boats, of which I owned one. As time went on quality and craftmanship started going out the door.
Mark Twain said that they could no longer build a quality boat and be competitive without cheapening their product.
So what did they do, they closed their doors. And kept their reputation for building a quality product.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
In my early years, things were built to last, and if for some reason they failed, you could repair them.
Today people tend to shop price, and assume that the quality is there, and nothing is repairable.
I have a Weller electric soldering gun that is 67 yrs old, that I bought for my Dad when I was a young lad.
I used it in my trade for some 50 yrs, it still has the same cord (in good shape).
And you still can get parts for it, they just ask you if it is new or old style.