Back on the Main Land

Phillbo

Just got back from 10 days on the Island of Hawaii... Stayed in a nice condo in Kona but made a drive over to Hilo to visit with a friend that is building a house on the island. Here is a few pics:

1- The daily ritual of cocktails on the deck for the sunset.
2-What turned out to be our favorite lunch spot. Good food, good view and a good breeze.
3- The condo complex we stayed at.
4- My buddies dog house. Fully functioning 800sf studio that he will live ibn while he builds his primary house. It will become our guest house when he moves in to the big one.

Enjoy!
Kona 1.jpg
Kona 2.jpg
Kona 3.jpg
Kona 4.jpg

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing. My son has property in Hilo. When I visited him a number of years ago, the area made me feel like I was in Tennessee and Kentucky, back in the 60's it seemed very laid back.
Any restrictions?

Phillbo

To keep it boat related - Lunch at the Harbor one day - would not recommend. the food was generic but the beer was cold.
Kona 5.jpg

Phillbo

Lots of hoops to jump through.

You have to register your trip with the Safe Travels website and comply with one of three conditions:

-Upload a copy of your vaccine card to prove you u are boosted (this is what we did)
-Prove a negative test within 72 hours of your flight (did this also but not needed)
-Quarantine for 5 days once you arrive at your first destination on the islands (this would be the stupid approach)

They send you a QR code once you upload you cards and when you check in for your flight they give you a wrist band so you don't have to go through the inspection when you arrive in Hawaii...

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Totally off topic but ... I'm flying from Ohio to Idaho in a couple weeks. I know we have to wear a mask but does anyone know if there are restrictions for basic US flights?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Lots of hoops to jump through.

You have to register your trip with the Safe Travels website and comply with one of three conditions:

-Upload a copy of your vaccine card to prove you u are boosted (this is what we did)
-Prove a negative test within 72 hours of your flight (did this also but not needed)
-Quarantine for 5 days once you arrive at your first destination on the islands (this would be the stupid approach)

They send you a QR code once you upload you cards and when you check in for your flight they give you a wrist band so you don't have to go through the inspection when you arrive in Hawaii...
Thanks, I knew that there were some awhile ago, that is why my son was not going. I was not sure if they still had them.

SST

Totally off topic but ... I'm flying from Ohio to Idaho in a couple weeks. I know we have to wear a mask but does anyone know if there are restrictions for basic US flights?
Make sure you call the airline you're flying on before hand to make sure they don't have any surprises.

Its been a long time since I've been to Hawaii. Flew TWA to HNL and then Aloha between islands on their "convertible" 737's. Island hopped most of the islands, helicopter ride out of LIH and then scuba dived near HIlo. Someday I hope to return. Still a few things I'd like to see.

You're lucky too know somebody there. Makes for a lot of convenience and money savings.

Phillbo

You're lucky too know somebody there. Makes for a lot of convenience and money savings.
Yup. I have friends on every island expect Kauai..... Saves a lot on resort and rental car fees.... Also saves on dinning cost since we like to go to the fish market and cook dinner for ourselves..