Canadian Lakes/Towns

willbaker13

My Canadian wife would like to move back to be closer to family, etc. Not super excited about this but if I can finagle a home close to a lake where I can use the boat it might make this "potential" move a little easier. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Don't have to worry about schools as kids will be graduating high school this year.

Thanks!!!!!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Welcome Will.
I did much the same you are suggesting.
We lived in the capital city in Ohio, Columbus, for 20 years. Way to big and lots and lots of traffic. Nice boating places were way over crowded. Opportunity to move with our jobs back close to where our families live on the Ohio river. We looked and looked and finally found a piece of property with 1100 feet of river frontage, but it was 3/4 mile from the road, no house on it. 48.7 acres. So we bought, built our house and made trails and a river lot and never looked back. We have since retired and this is the perfect place for us. We love it.
I wish you luck in finding something similar. There is so many beautiful places and so much water in Canada that I have no doubt you can succeed in this venture. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Sandbar

My Canadian wife would like to move back to be closer to family, etc. Not super excited about this but if I can finagle a home close to a lake where I can use the boat it might make this "potential" move a little easier. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Don't have to worry about schools as kids will be graduating high school this year.

Thanks!!!!!
What region in Canada is your wife eying up? I can certainly recommend the Ottawa/Ottawa Valley area. You not only have access to a roughly 300 mile long stretch of wilderness boating on the Ottawa river but also the historic Rideau canal which takes you from the Capital to Lake Ontario in Kingston where you can then explore the St. Lawrence and the 1,000 islands. More boating options than you can count.

Central Ontario is also a gem due to the 240 mile long Trent-Severn canal that gives access to untold lakes and rivers from Lake Ontario to Georgian bay.

Reactions: Doc

willbaker13

Welcome Will.
I did much the same you are suggesting.
We lived in the capital city in Ohio, Columbus, for 20 years. Way to big and lots and lots of traffic. Nice boating places were way over crowded. Opportunity to move with our jobs back close to where our families live on the Ohio river. We looked and looked and finally found a piece of property with 1100 feet of river frontage, but it was 3/4 mile from the road, no house on it. 48l.7 acres. So we bought, built our house and made trails and a river lot and never looked back. We have since retired and this is the perfect place for us. We love it.
I wish you luck in finding something similar. There is so many beautiful places and so much water in Canada that I have no doubt you can succeed in this venture. Good luck and do keep us posted.
Thanks Doc.

willbaker13

What region in Canada is your wife eying up? I can certainly recommend the Ottawa/Ottawa Valley area. You not only have access to a roughly 300 mile long stretch of wilderness boating on the Ottawa river but also the historic Rideau canal which takes you from the Capital to Lake Ontario in Kingston where you can then explore the St. Lawrence and the 1,000 islands. More boating options than you can count.

Central Ontario is also a gem due to the 240 mile long Trent-Severn canal that gives access to untold lakes and rivers from Lake Ontario to Georgian bay.
Thanks Sandbar. My wife grew up in the Ottawa area and her mom and best friend are there. She's been looking at houses in the area - hard to find what we'd both want in our price range. Most places don't even have garages. :) I think she is wearing me down...

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc.
Have been in both areas, but not on the Ottawa River looked up on Google, looks like a nice area. Went up and down the Big Shoot, on the Trent Severn. And toured the the Thousand Islands from Kingston to Cornwall on the St. Lawrence River. Also had the pleasure of seeing the Benjamin Islands, and Apostle Islands. Words can not describe those areas, you have to experience them, first hand. Somehow, someway Canada always gets it right.
Sure hope the closing of the border will be lifted soon.
I perch fish Lake Erie, but I love cruising the rest of The Great Lakes and their tributaries. Denny.

Sandbar

Thanks Sandbar. My wife grew up in the Ottawa area and her mom and best friend are there. She's been looking at houses in the area - hard to find what we'd both want in our price range. Most places don't even have garages. :) I think she is wearing me down...
I know of a 1900sq ft bungalow for sale on the Ottawa river near Petawawa with its own private dock, boat garage and large workshop on 3 acres. ;)