Changing the Plugs, cap and rotor on my 2014 31 signature

CPG

I changed the plugs, cap and rotor on my 31 signature with twin mercuiser 5.0 MPI this week. The plugs next to the vaccuflush unit weren’t fun to get to. On the port side I had to reach around the generator and hot water heater. The starboard rotor and cap weren’t bad, the port side was brutal. The screws for the rotor are maybe a quarter inch long and non magnetic with T15 heads. It took me five hours to complete the job. I wonder what the mechanic would charge?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I feel your pain.

We have found in the automotive world that people who have designed them, have never worked on them. The hardest part on mine, is trying to change the oil filter and not spilling the oil everywhere.
When you unscrew it, the oil runs all over the outside of the filter, and you can not grip it, along with you can only get 1 hand on it. I had thought about putting in a remote filter, but I have no good place where I can put it. So I lay down plastic on the floor of the bilge and a lot of rags.

cyclops2

There is no reason to do the change with hot or warm oil . I use a small plastic bucket held under the filter as I remove it. Piece of cake job.

I do wear cheap Vinyl or Latex gloves to keep my skin free of the toxic oil.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
There is no reason to do the change with hot or warm oil . I use a small plastic bucket held under the filter as I remove it. Piece of cake job.

I do wear cheap Vinyl or Latex gloves to keep my skin free of the toxic oil.
I have done it both ways, hot and cold, no difference, oil still runs down the sides of the filter. No room for a bucket. What I need is a glove that is not affected by the oil that will allow me to grip the filter. My engine sets down deep into the bilge and the sides are just wide enough to set the engine in. I have to lie down on my right side, reach in with my right arm, support the filter with my palm and try to rotate the filter with 1 finger and my thumb, then snake it out through hoses and wires with out spilling (too) much oil. Some years I have been lucky, and some years not so lucky. LOL

Phillbo

I punch a hole in mine and drain it before removing but it sounds like I have a lot more room in my bilge than you...

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I punch a hole in mine and drain it before removing but it sounds like I have a lot more room in my bilge than you...
Never thought of that, thanks I'll check it out and see if there are any options to do that. Maybe some kind of shallow container with a lid, because I still have to fish it out through hoses and spark plug wires. In fact I do remove 2 of the wires from the plugs to help make it a little easier.

P.S. Headed your way on the 9th for a month to visit my children in Phoenix and San Diego.
I see that you are in the 90's, man am I going to love that.

Last edited:

cyclops2

You spill risk guys. Buy or save up all the bed sheets you can buy. And 1 oil absorbing " SAUSAGE " :). Put them down there with a long broom handle or stick. it helps a lot !!

jeffk

I have the same boat.
If you take the front cover off the generator it gives you some extra room.
The plugs by the vacuflush are just a pain.

Reactions: Doc