Companion way door removal or repair

Skibumrb1

The companion way door on my 2001 Sig 28 binds badly. I either need to remove it and repair/replace rollers and tracks or repair in place. Help...

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I've never been on a Sig 28. I'd be glad to try to help. I fixed the door on my 288 Sunsation that was giving me issues. I might have an idea or two but would need to see pics of what you are dealing with.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
From all of my past experience with things like this I have developed a system.
It is a hands situation where you need to locate the exact location of the bind, and what is causing it.
Sometimes it can be a 2 persons deal, 1 to move the door and 1 to look and locate the bind.
Then you'll be able to determine how far to take it apart in order to make the repairs.
Fix it right, don't put a band-aid on it.:)
Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Iggy

I had the same problem. In my case the wheels were too high. I adjusted them lowering the wheels and cleaned them. Dirt was binding them up too.

Skibumrb1

Mine does not have wheels, it has an aluminum tube with some sort of material for sliding. The problem i have is the lower bolt that holds the slide spins with the recessed nut in the door. I can't seem to find any info on the slides themselves.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The slides are made out of some type of plastic material, and have probable worn down, creating your bind.
You need to get them out and take them to a place that can fabricate plastics, they should be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
Have you tried Cecil Marine?
Without being there this is the best I can give you, sorry.

Skibumrb1

Thanks Denny, I am used a 1/2" pvc pipe. Cut out a 1/4 of it, fixed it to the empty slide carrier and siliconed it. Works great. I did it all with out removing the door. Just removed the bolts holding the carrier in place, opened the door, used a wedge to take the doors weight off and slid the carrier out, installed the pvc piece and installed. Don't know how long the pvc last, so while i was at it, i cut a few more pieces. Thanks your insight.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Denny, I am used a 1/2" pvc pipe. Cut out a 1/4 of it, fixed it to the empty slide carrier and siliconed it. Works great. I did it all with out removing the door. Just removed the bolts holding the carrier in place, opened the door, used a wedge to take the doors weight off and slid the carrier out, installed the pvc piece and installed. Don't know how long the pvc last, so while i was at it, i cut a few more pieces. Thanks your insight.
Good idea to have spares, sounds like it was an easy fix, especially not having to take anything apart.
The more you use it, the more the ware. Don't know if a little oil once in awhile will help or create a mess, grease will make it sticky.
If you can, would like to see a picture of the repairs, someone else may benefit from your work also.