Compass Calibration Alarm on CHaparral 307 SSX

Mcollier57

Every time we take the boat out, after about 20 minutes of running the engines we get a “compass not properly installed or calibrated” alarm, on both port and star board engines. We have tried a number of things (replace the GPS antenna, new batteries/clean power, etc), but nothing has helped. The current thought is to replace the motherboard of the VesselView4 display. ANy help would be appreciated

Iggy

Have you calibrated the compass? I am not familiar with Vessel View. But I do have a electronic compass on my boat that is a stand alone device and tied into the NMEA2k network.

Is your compass built into the mother board or separate/stand alone? If separate, try moving it. It should not be mounted to close to the engines, VHF, AIS , radar and alike. The magnetic interference will throw the compass off.

Mcollier57

Thanks for your quick response. My boat guys just came to the same conclusion. Said the GPS disk was mounted too close to the wiper motor, and that they needed to get it more than three feet away to avoid EMI…crazy, but I’ll take it if it works.

Iggy

Thanks for your quick response. My boat guys just came to the same conclusion. Said the GPS disk was mounted too close to the wiper motor, and that they needed to get it more than three feet away to avoid EMI…crazy, but I’ll take it if it works.

Yep! The magnets in the motor will do it.

Do you have radar? if yes? Can the compass can be tied into a NEMA2k network with your GPS?