ECOS engine cut off switch

Denny

Gold Site Supporter

Federal safety rule, which goes into effect April 1, 2021, applies to boats less than 26 feet operating at plane or above displacement speed.​

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The older girls did not come equipped with cut off switches. A couple of winters ago, I was at a boat show listening to a safety talk and I got to thinking it was a good idea to install one, so I did. Now with my size, they tell me that I need one.
IMG_2789.JPG

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

Do you actually wear the lanyard? I've had a cut off switch on every boat i've owned but never once had a lanyard.

willbaker13

In TX that rule went into effect a year or two ago. It is supposed to be attached to your person while above displacement speed but I've not heard or seen anybody get stopped just because they weren't, but I'm sure if there is another reason to stop you they will look for it...

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Do you actually wear the lanyard? I've had a cut off switch on every boat i've owned but never once had a lanyard.
Yes, I hook it on my belt loop and also when I run this one. I think that I wear it more because of possible age issues then anything else.
IMG_1896.JPG

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
In TX that rule went into effect a year or two ago. It is supposed to be attached to your person while above displacement speed but I've not heard or seen anybody get stopped just because they weren't, but I'm sure if there is another reason to stop you they will look for it...
I can see it, not only from a health related issue, but mainly there are a lot of people operating water craft that should not.

Iggy

Some of these smaller boats (like in the above pic) go so fast that you can get tossed out. My old boat, a Sig 290 the sides were so high at 26 knots hitting a good wave got rough. But no way was I going over board. Being 5'5", I could just about see over the windshield forward and the side come up to a little less than my shoulders.

cyclops2

As I aged. I realized that any way I could be out of the boat could be death. If alone and the wind was blowing the boat away from me. engine stops in gear. But there is no way a fully clothed person can catch up to a Chap in a breeze. So i have a strong rope tied to a bow cleat. Driver side . & enough line so that if I fall in . The rope will stop me & my feet before the prop gets me. Before heart surgery.

I did almost pass out. I fell overboard & recovered fast enough to climb back in the 16' Aluminum fish boat. I would have drowned without the rope attached. Macho man was not wearing his life vest.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Some of these smaller boats (like in the above pic) go so fast that you can get tossed out. My old boat, a Sig 290 the sides were so high at 26 knots hitting a good wave got rough. But no way was I going over board. Being 5'5", I could just about see over the windshield forward and the side come up to a little less than my shoulders.
That little guy is capable of about 21 mph, (kind of a spooky ride), however I run it about 12 mph, in areas like this.
It is my back to nature transport.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
As I aged. I realized that any way I could be out of the boat could be death. If alone and the wind was blowing the boat away from me. engine stops in gear. But there is no way a fully clothed person can catch up to a Chap in a breeze. So i have a strong rope tied to a bow cleat. Driver side . & enough line so that if I fall in . The rope will stop me & my feet before the prop gets me. Before heart surgery.

I did almost pass out. I fell overboard & recovered fast enough to climb back in the 16' Aluminum fish boat. I would have drowned without the rope attached. Macho man was not wearing his life vest.
If you used a cut off switch and wore a vest, you would not need the rope (line) and eliminate the chance of hanging yourself. LOL

cyclops2

I use the lanyard. But when moving about the boat to fish & lean over. Engine is stopped. The rope is good for search & rescue. If I am over due.