Engine oil recommendations?

I have a 2008 Signature 290 with twin VP 4.3 OXi's in it. They have around 800 and 1100 hours respectively. Don't burn too much oil since my last change in the spring, less than half a quart on both. I had put in the Synthetic Blend Sierra 25W-40 in it at the time.

I think i would be better off with a full synthetic with the engines with these hours on them. Any recommendations? Looking at:
Sierra 25W-40 synthetic blend again
Sierra 30W full synth
Liqui Moly 25W-40

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I went full synthetic in the early 2000's. I went with Mobile One and used that in all the boats I've owned between then and now with the exception that I used Mercruiser full synthetic 30w (lI think) last season for the 220 hour 496 mag. I know the oil is not multi grade and I think it's 30w but I'd have to look at the jug to double check. and it's on the boat that is all sealed up so I cannot check that for you till April. I am not familiar with the brands you mentioned. Sorry. I do believe any good synthetic will serve you well. I used multi grade Mobile One with no issues most seasons.

Iggy

I have a 2008 Signature 290 with twin VP 4.3 OXi's in it. They have around 800 and 1100 hours respectively. Don't burn too much oil since my last change in the spring, less than half a quart on both. I had put in the Synthetic Blend Sierra 25W-40 in it at the time.

I think i would be better off with a full synthetic with the engines with these hours on them. Any recommendations? Looking at:
Sierra 30W full synth
Liqui Moly 25W-40
I had the same boat with the same engines but a 2011 model. I used Mobile One 15-40W. Sold that boat last year and still using Mobile One in the newer boat.

Iggy

Thanks Iggy. Was it the Delvac sythentic blend stuff you used?
I am not sure, I really don't remember. The new boat is diesel so its not the same oil other than its Mobile One. I got it from Walmart with free shipping. The boat was a new leftover and got it in 2013 and sold it in Dec of 2020. The new owner and I have been in touch over last summer and all is good. So I would not hesitant to that oil!

Iggy

The Sig 290 is really a nice boat for long weekends. I did enjoy her! Hot water, a real head, reverse cycle heat/A.C. Any trip over 3 days meant that we had to take on more water and food. Plus carry a small 2000 watt generator.

I ended up buying a Pacific Trawler 40. I really wanted the Cutwater 30s. I even had a deposit on a new one. One diesel engine, 5k genset, 180gal fuel, 80 gal water. LOA 35' with 10" beam. Not much bigger the Sig 290. Cruises at 18knots.

We saw this trawler and it was hard to pass up. New electronics other than the radar, 200 gals of water, 600 gals of fuel, Yanmar 350 engine in great shape 3300 hours. Being a diesel she gets 1.3 to 1.5MPG. A 5.5kW genset with 1100 hrs. which is next to new for a diesel. Bow thruster, two year old Highfield inflatable with a 2 yr. old 20hp outboard. Separate fridge and freezer, each about 4 cubic feet. I can go on to what the boat has in her. Plus I did a few upgrades and repairs.

Pic of both boats.

Attachments

• Sig290.jpg
    Sig290.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 82
  • MyBoat.jpg
    MyBoat.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
The Sig 290 is really a nice boat for long weekends. I did enjoy her! Hot water, a real head, reverse cycle heat/A.C. Any trip over 3 days meant that we had to take on more water and food. Plus carry a small 2000 watt generator.

I ended up buying a Pacific Trawler 40. I really wanted the Cutwater 30s. I even had a deposit on a new one. One diesel engine, 5k genset, 180gal fuel, 80 gal water. LOA 35' with 10" beam. Not much bigger the Sig 290. Cruises at 18knots.

We saw this trawler and it was hard to pass up. New electronics other than the radar, 200 gals of water, 600 gals of fuel, Yanmar 350 engine in great shape 3300 hours. Being a diesel she gets 1.3 to 1.5MPG. A 5.5kW genset with 1100 hrs. which is next to new for a diesel. Bow thruster, two year old Highfield inflatable with a 2 yr. old 20hp outboard. Separate fridge and freezer, each about 4 cubic feet. I can go on to what the boat has in her. Plus I did a few upgrades and repairs.

Pic of both boats.
Both great boats. The new trawler would be great on some long journeys no doubt. 1000+ mile range is awesome. We're based in Vancouver so being able to travel up the coast eventually will be great, next boat.

Our Sig has the generator which is nice, but you're right, 2 or 3 nights max. Plus we have dogs so it gets a tad cramped.

Iggy

Yep! This was our first year with her. We did a few small trips, but we went from Boston to Sag Harbor which was a little deeper than on the tip of Long Island N.Y. We did it in 2 days down and 2 days back and 3 days there. With 200 gals of water lasted the whole trip and only refueled once since we were going by a fuel dock just outside of the Cape Cod Canal. Never had a slip and just stayed on a mooring.

Ran the genset when needed or used the solar panels. If you look at the upper deck, the inflatable is there and a crane to pick it up and lower it in the water. The crane has a electric motor, but the boom is manual with a drum and handle. Just like the sail boaters uses, makes it more difficult but easier than towing. What is really great, no outdrives. Everything has its pros and cons, but a shaft alone has very little maintenance. But a single screw is a little harder to handle, but the bow thruster helps.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations on your new girl friend. Learning how to play with her toys is all part of the adventure.:)

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I started at 180hrs with Lubriplate sae 30 back in 92. Then as per recommendation by my Mercury Marine Dealer, a few years back I switched over to Quick Silver sae 25W-40. I now have 1900 hrs. averaging about 40hrs. per season, and burning less then 1 qt. a season. I change oil every season regardless of the hrs. run.

WIngnut

Sierra 30W full synth
Liqui Moly 25W-40
Marine Oils Ain't Special Per attachment...

Attachments

• OILMAS~1.DOC
    56 KB · Views: 90

Mi3sons

I see Wingnut made it over, an absolute expert on anything oil and will be an incredible resource on this forum.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I see Wingnut made it over, an absolute expert on anything oil and will be an incredible resource on this forum.
Wingnut, your reputation proceeds you, welcome aboard.:clap:
And welcome aboard all of you other fine Chaparral owners that have and are on your way over.