Fresh Water Tank Odor

markt111

What do you guys do to keep your fresh water usable, I would never drink but the odor is pretty bad, we don't even want to use to wash our hands. This is my first boat with a fresh water tank so it's a new item on the maintenance list.

Here's what I have done so far, obviously I added RV pink prior to the winter, filled tank and flushed twice at the start if the season, added a cup of bleach to the first tank, odor started and I added another cup, I believe the tank in a 285SSI is 30 gallons. I just ordered the below product and it should arrive tomorrow. I am thinking I will add it, let it mix up good on a ride then flush again and retreat.

Is there anything else I am not doing that I should be?

It is your hot water tank causing the smell. Spa crystals for hot tub
Just a cap full and she will smell great. Use a cap for each fill up.

Phillbo

Contact Peggy- she knows it all.

You can get to her via boatered.com as well....

Make sure the tank is well ventilated.... When I fill mine I let it fill for a few minutes after the water comes out the overflow to flush the lines...

Sandbar

What do you guys do to keep your fresh water usable, I would never drink but the odor is pretty bad, we don't even want to use to wash our hands. This is my first boat with a fresh water tank so it's a new item on the maintenance list.

Here's what I have done so far, obviously I added RV pink prior to the winter, filled tank and flushed twice at the start if the season, added a cup of bleach to the first tank, odor started and I added another cup, I believe the tank in a 285SSI is 30 gallons. I just ordered the below product and it should arrive tomorrow. I am thinking I will add it, let it mix up good on a ride then flush again and retreat.

Is there anything else I am not doing that I should be?
It's not difficult to eliminate the odours...just a bit time consuming. On my 2005 Signature 270 this is what has worked for me:
  1. Remove all of the strainers from each faucet and clean them as best as possible with an old toothbrush.
  2. Drain the water tank/system.
  3. Put about 175ml of ~5.25% sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) into the water tank (in our case it's a 30 gal/114litre tank) and fill with water.
  4. Go for a ride to ensure mixing.
  5. back at the dock, run the water on each faucet until you can smell the chlorine then shut them off.
  6. Let the water sit overnight (12-24 hrs) so that the chlorine has a chance to kill off the bacteria that is causing the odour in the tank and in the lines.
  7. Next day, drain off all of the water out of the tank through each faucet,
  8. Refill tank with fresh water and drain off again (you will likely smell chlorine-this is expected)
  9. If chlorine smell is still present, refill the tank again with fresh water
  10. Continue to drain the system and refill until chlorine smell is no longer observed
  11. Put strainer back on each faucet from which it was removed.
  12. Enjoy fresh water. :)

Iggy

I installed this on my boat. Every spring I do treat the tank.

This filter is so good it took the dye out of the AF.