Getting to know each other: What do you do for fun in the boating off season?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I travel a little and drive my side by side on back roads and trails in my area. Love getting to see nature in all four seasons. Always something to make me go :wow:
Especially now that we have a few bald eagles staying here in this area by the Ohio River. Neat.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I usually spend 40-50 hrs. with my girl over the winter lay-up to get her ready for the next season.
And anything that has a warm controlled environment. I am always tinkering, building or fixing something.
I help a guy out that has a canvas shop and I work on other boaters boats. I will take apart upholstery and pattern it. Then they will sew it, and I put it back together. If any of the wood is detreated, I will rebuild it with new. I work with him 4-5 days a week in the winter, and only 3 days a week in the summer. The time spent, fills up my days, and winter for me flies by.

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

I really don have an off season but other than boating I spend a lot of time riding my dirt bike and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. Also like to travel. Going to Kona next month for my birthday.
14.jpg

• Wow

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I might be getting members mixed up but didn't the low water prevent some of your boating activities? Not an off season but much the same.
Have fun on the Big Island. Happy Bday early. Been a while since I was in Hawaii. One of these days I'll make it back. :D :beer:

Phillbo

Lake is very low but does not stop us from enjoying it.... Actually the mid lake marina is down so no fuel available = no wake boats to ruin our evenings. Love the solitude. 60 miles from anyone else.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Lake is very low but does not stop us from enjoying it.... Actually the mid lake marina is down so no fuel available = no wake boats to ruin our evenings. Love the solitude. 60 miles from anyone else.
Sounds perfect. :thumb:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Love the solitude. 60 miles from anyone else.
And now you know why I love my Great Lakes so much, hence my girl's name Serenity.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I really don have an off season but other than boating I spend a lot of time riding my dirt bike and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. Also like to travel. Going to Kona next month for my birthday.
View attachment 1445
The closest thing that I did to that was in an air tunnel.
It's nice that you have someone below to catch you. lol
Good on you.
My rush was 80 mph in a 32' Fountain with twin 500's
And my son's treated me to this.
DSC_2204.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I just got back to riding. I bought a Honda Goldwing Trike. Wife was scared to death of motorcycles. She loves riding the trike. We are in SE Ohio. Some great routes to ride here but we also plan to ride some in TN and NC this spring and summer when we are not boating. Maggie Valley has lots of interesting loops. Here is one I'm considering:

MaggieValleyThe865LoopSmokeyMtsBlueRidgeParkway.jpg

unplugged

I just got back to riding. I bought a Honda Goldwing Trike. Wife was scared to death of motorcycles. She loves riding the trike. We are in SE Ohio. Some great routes to ride here but we also plan to ride some in TN and NC this spring and summer when we are not boating. Maggie Valley has lots of interesting loops. Here is one I'm considering:

View attachment 1464
That is a fantastic loop. I suggest taking a ride across US129 while you’re in the Pigeon Forge area.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
That is a fantastic loop. I suggest taking a ride across US129 while you’re in the Pigeon Forge area.
Have a cabin in Pigeon Forge with kids and grand kids next month. Will be in SUV, I've driven over to Cherekee from there if that is 129, a very nice drive. Only downside traffic at Pigeon Forge is usually thick no matter what time of year.

edit to add: That is 441 that goes into Cherokee. Looking at Pigeon Forge for 129 via google maps and I'm not seeing it.

edit one more time: Found it. Tallahassee to Fontana Damn Looks like fun.

Last edited:
Skydiving and motorcycles, awesome.

I mountain bike a lot, some freediving in the winter, hikes everyday with my 2 Belgian Malinois, have a modern classic 911 I like working on as well. It's actually really enjoyable peice of machinery to wrench on, well engineered and meant to be disassembled and reassembled.

Iggy

What do I do?? Well, plan on other boating season! I have ready used Dockwa and made mooring reservations after some research. Installed new chartplotter software on my laptop.............

SST

This summer is having potential. With my recovery moving along, I am two weeks away from completing my rehab. They have been increasing the rubber bands used for exercise so I'll be fairly strong at the end, well....stronger. Better than I was going in. But I'm going to have to return to the gym to take it further.

If nothing goes wrong with the boat, I'm certain I am now strong enough to handle it. But my concern is that if something does goes wrong, I may not yet be strong enough to "man handle" it as I call it. So, return to the gym.

Next step along the way is to learn how to do my own bearing packing. I have taken my trailer to different places and have not had good luck and it erodes my confidence to trailer long distance without burning them up. I stumbled on a live railroad cam in Fort Madison along the Mississippi River and I noticed a marina tucked in near the swing bridge with RR track right there. I would love to trailer out there, sit on my boat while watching trains and barges go by but not until I've taken care of my own bearings. I also have not been happy with bearing-buddies and plan on capping the bearings instead. Thoughts?

I also want to return to Canada either via Lake Erie [Port Colborne] by boat or trailer across the border for Toronto [Lake Ontario]. If I return to Canada then a new GPS tracker will be needed as the one I have is not reliable at the precise moment I need it most.

Looking towards the end of April to pull the boat out of storage and launch by May 15th.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
This summer is having potential. With my recovery moving along, I am two weeks away from completing my rehab. They have been increasing the rubber bands used for exercise so I'll be fairly strong at the end, well....stronger. Better than I was going in. But I'm going to have to return to the gym to take it further.

If nothing goes wrong with the boat, I'm certain I am now strong enough to handle it. But my concern is that if something does goes wrong, I may not yet be strong enough to "man handle" it as I call it. So, return to the gym.

Next step along the way is to learn how to do my own bearing packing. I have taken my trailer to different places and have not had good luck and it erodes my confidence to trailer long distance without burning them up. I stumbled on a live railroad cam in Fort Madison along the Mississippi River and I noticed a marina tucked in near the swing bridge with RR track right there. I would love to trailer out there, sit on my boat while watching trains and barges go by but not until I've taken care of my own bearings. I also have not been happy with bearing-buddies and plan on capping the bearings instead. Thoughts?

I also want to return to Canada either via Lake Erie [Port Colborne] by boat or trailer across the border for Toronto [Lake Ontario]. If I return to Canada then a new GPS tracker will be needed as the one I have is not reliable at the precise moment I need it most.

Looking towards the end of April to pull the boat out of storage and launch by May 15th.
Awesome News. Glad to hear you are progressing so good. Not easy but you are getting there.

I've had good luck with bearing buddies. Have you tried those?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The only bad thing about buddy bearings is, if you over pump them, they will leak thru the rear seal and could get on the brake shoes, as they did with mine from the previous owner. I do a lot of trailering and I am in and out of the water a lot so I take them apart at the end of the season, clean and inspect everything. I do have buddy beatings on mine, but I use them differently. I hand pack the bearings and completely fill the cavity, but I do not put any grease in the buddy bearings. When I take them apart at the end of the season the buddy bearings have some grease in them because of the heat expansion and my rear seals are in tact. Same bearings that came with the trailer in 85.

Phillbo

The secret with bearing buddies is to let your brakes cool before submerging them. I use to trailer to a lake that had a 7 mile 6% grade that ended at the ramp. I always had bearing issues until I figured out the trick to let them cool.