Going into 2nd year of storage - SUNESTA 244

pokerman

Sad that we did not get our 2008 Sunesta Xtreme 244 out this year. Yet the good news is that we are in the process of moving from the Frozen North coast of Ohio with it's ~12 week boating season to Naples, Flordia. She is going with us, and I suspect to get more on-water time once the move is complete.

The boat is winterized and inside a non-heated barn. For winterization, I take out the thermostat, and have one of those kits that you run off the hose for a bit then switch over to a tanks to suck in 5gals of anti-freeze. Spray a bit of fogger down the carb, disconnect the batteries. Also during my last outing put in marine fuel stabal, and topped off the tank (with non-ethanol.) For the trailer, it sits on jack stands so the tires don't develop flat spots. I put battery tenders on once and a while.

As I did not get the boat out at all this year and it's going to be at least until Spring before we move her south. Is there anything I should do? I was thinking of draining the fuel (and using it.)

Let me know what you guys think - THANKS

yogi799

Also living in the short 12 week season area. Not an expert here but I would imagine fuel that is good to sit for a year, will sit just fine for 2 years. I only put Premium in with No Ethanol for the Winter, most expensive gas here in Ontario and rare (only Shell stations have it), and I would think since it lacks Ethanol and is stabilized with a nice doze of marine stabil, it would be fine for much longer?

Not to hijack your thread, but yes, your new season in Naples (where i went plenty of times before for vacation) will be longer but definitely not going to miss these 1. salt in the water, needing to flush the system every time you get out and horrible corrosion overall, 2. crazy wildlife in murky water LOL., 3. insane tides, and the need to rush back to port before xxPM in order not to get stuck LOL. That said, congrats on the move LOL :)

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Not to hijack your thread, but yes, your new season in Naples (where i went plenty of times before for vacation) will be longer but definitely not going to miss these 1. salt in the water, needing to flush the system every time you get out and horrible corrosion overall, 2. crazy wildlife in murky water LOL., 3. insane tides, and the need to rush back to port before xxPM in order not to get stuck LOL. That said, congrats on the move LOL :)

Too much work, love my Great Lakes, and nothing in them that will eat me. Lol

pokerman

Thanks guys. Sounds like the boat will do fine this extra long storage run. I was plannig on moving it down this Feburary. Now most likely not going to move her this year.

All the docks and harbors in Naples are destroyed. Ian took them out. The boatyard / storage I was looking at using is just gone, as well as all the boats that were in it. I mean gone, as in just not there. In some pictures, I can see parts of boats in the area but the buildings/docks are a total loss.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I was wondering if Ian changed your plans. Sad but at least it happened before you were on the way there.

I boat on the Ohio river. Just a bit south of you in the Marietta area. I love it. I've rented a 24 ft boat on the gulf coast of FL (Clearwater area) and did not like it near as much. So much of the area is man made water channels and so shallow in most areas. Beautiful but shallow. Then out on the gulf it's smooth one minute and rough the next. Hard to just cruise and enjoy the ride. Here I have 45 miles of river to run. And I can lock through the damns and go to Pittsburg or Cinci. Water is so much more predictable. But hey, different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world an interesting place.

Good luck with your long range move plans.