Hauling V350 V drives

I am looking at having out boat hauled. The shipper tells me radar arch must be removed. Seems like a lot of work. Has anyone done this? Bridge clearance is 11'2 but you have to add the 3Ft draft. That us 2ft too high.

Phillbo

I've heard of arches being removed quite often. Might check around to see if you can find a shipper with a low boy trailer. If you are in a marina check with them they should be able to help in both directions.

Reactions: Doc

Iggy

Here in Mass and I would think across the U.S. The road height clearance is 13'6" unless otherwise. The Mass Turnpike is 13'9". So thats what you should be going by, not bridge clearance since its also how high is the trailer going to bring her up. What I mean is, some trailers can carry a boat higher or lower than others.

I had a 26 footer and had to take the radar dome off just for that reason.

ags

I have outdrives on my 350. Towed it 500 miles last year. I fold the arch down towards the bow. You can remove all the nuts from the arch studs, but leave loosen and leave the aft-most nut on so the arch maintains alignment in the pocket/mounting flange. Tilt the arch down and brace it with a something like a 2x4 with a "Y" and strap it down with ratchet straps. Even doing this, I lost my anchor light to the lowest bridge of the trip. Good luck.

I have outdrives on my 350. Towed it 500 miles last year. I fold the arch down towards the bow. You can remove all the nuts from the arch studs, but leave loosen and leave the aft-most nut on so the arch maintains alignment in the pocket/mounting flange. Tilt the arch down and brace it with a something like a 2x4 with a "Y" and strap it down with ratchet straps. Even doing this, I lost my anchor light to the lowest bridge of the trip. Good luck.
Interesting, is your 350 the one with the rear boarding door center or is it offset as mine is? They renamed the 330 to 350 and the 350 to 370. Mine is the 350 370 model. Are the bolts easily accessible?

ags

Interesting, is your 350 the one with the rear boarding door center or is it offset as mine is? They renamed the 330 to 350 and the 350 to 370. Mine is the 350 370 model. Are the bolts easily accessible?
Mine is a 2003 model. Aft door is on the port side. You will need to be fairly flexible to wiggle your body between your hot water heater and fuel tank on the starboard side, and fuel tank and holding tank on the port side, working off your back obviously. You'll need about 3 feet of extension on your ratchet to reach up to the arch nuts. I think there are either 3 or 4 studs/nuts on each side. They are 9/16" nuts, if I remember correctly. You'll have to cut and remove the caulking around the arch where it meets the body of the boat - it was incredibly strong and actually held the arch in place once I removed the nuts.

Mine is a 2003 model. Aft door is on the port side. You will need to be fairly flexible to wiggle your body between your hot water heater and fuel tank on the starboard side, and fuel tank and holding tank on the port side, working off your back obviously. You'll need about 3 feet of extension on your ratchet to reach up to the arch nuts. I think there are either 3 or 4 studs/nuts on each side. They are 9/16" nuts, if I remember correctly. You'll have to cut and remove the caulking around the arch where it meets the body of the boat - it was incredibly strong and actually held the arch in place once I removed the nuts.
Awesome, that's so much, exactly the same boat as mine apart from the drives. Much appreciated.

Reactions: ags

benster

I just bought a 2001 Signature 350 and have arranged for transport from lake Havasu to Dana Point where she will now live. The boat is on a 4 axle trailer and sits at 15' high. We dont trust the trailer to make it here so I am loading the trailer onto a low boy and having previous owner remove arch. The 2001 also has port side aft door. With eh arch down I believe my highpoint on the trailer is about 12', that's what the seller is stating. Pretty nerve racking. I will be putting the arch back up on delivery, I dint realize the access was going to be from the engine bat. On my previous Maxum you just pulled out the arch speakers and had easy access. Anyone have photos of the process??

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I just bought a 2001 Signature 350 and have arranged for transport from lake Havasu to Dana Point where she will now live. The boat is on a 4 axle trailer and sits at 15' high. We dont trust the trailer to make it here so I am loading the trailer onto a low boy and having previous owner remove arch. The 2001 also has port side aft door. With eh arch down I believe my highpoint on the trailer is about 12', that's what the seller is stating. Pretty nerve racking. I will be putting the arch back up on delivery, I dint realize the access was going to be from the engine bat. On my previous Maxum you just pulled out the arch speakers and had easy access. Anyone have photos of the process??
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your new love affair. She is out of my wheel house, sorry I can not help.