Help diagnosing fuel/electrical issue

Boat is a 2008 Chaparral Signature 290 with Volvo 4.3 OSi-JF engines.
This has happened to me twice now. Where my starboard engine dies and will not start while out on the water. Both times it was the fuel pump relay. Both times you could tell the relay was scorched as the plastic had some heat marks on it. I replaced the fuel pump already with a unit from Amazon, not the newer style without paint on the inside.
Same engine, same relay, and actually right in the same spot doing the same thing! I was looking for a crab trap that I had dropped earlier that morning and lost 1l2 traps there now.

I suspicions are something is causing the fuel pump to work harder than it needs too and draws too much current through the relay. The fuel filter is a year old (gummed up?), clogged fpr? Bad injectors? Engine runs fine, easily hit 30 knots on the run. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Iggy

Well... I would not buy off of Amazon. I had a bad experience with their fuel pumps.

I think I already mentioned this in other post. I had the same engines, but a 2011 Sig 290 for 9 years. Both pumps went after 274 hours on year 7. I replaced them at $800 each and worked just fine after that.

I would check the voltage at the pumps. If its low, thats why there burning out. The other problem I had as an FYI. The port engine one day out in the harbor would not restart. I used the combine battery switch and it restarted. The problem was that the port battery cable went bad. After cutting it open, it was burnt.

Thanks Iggy. What is the voltage I should be getting at the pumps? 14?
I'm thinking I will just replace with the good/new Volvo pumps without the painted insides.

Iggy

Thanks Iggy. What is the voltage I should be getting at the pumps? 14?
I'm thinking I will just replace with the good/new Volvo pumps without the painted insides.

yes, about 14v due to the fact that the engines are running. I would also clean the pumps connectors. Its been a 4 or 5 years but if I remember right there are 2 connectors for the pump.

Iggy

Other than that, I don't know? I would also google it too. Someone else may have posted this problem. Good luck.

Iggy

Seam too cheap to be good! The last time I bought a bargain priced pump the stock fuel filters would not fit.

Iggy

Time will tell..............

Ask your self these questions. Personally, its no skin off my butt, but I have been though this and now have a diesel engine. I should say, sold my Sig 290 for a 40' trawler.

Who pays the shipping back and forth? My stock pumps (twin engines} each lasted 7 years. Are they a new company? If yes, will they be around in 5 years? They don't go into detail on there warranty. Why? Is it new or a rebuilt one? Their not stating that fact. When a replacement is needed, do you get a new one or rebuilt one? What is the turn around time?

Just saying and don't really care. But when its 1/3 the price, their not stating policy and far beats Volvo's warranty. I would be carful.

Last edited:

jeffk

It is a new replacement not rebuilt.
You are buying from a parts house, if it breaks you send it back at your expense.
IF you buy a VP pump on line and it breaks, you send it back at your expense.
Who is not stating anything, did you check the website or even give them a call?
A real person actually answers the phone.

Iggy

Nope I did not call.......... I did check the web site, see below

"All Quantum brand products are backed by a lifetime warranty. Quantum products that fail at any time will be replaced under warranty if it is determined that the failure was due to a defect in workmanship or material. This warranty only applies to the original customer and is non-transferable. Improper use or installation of the product voids this warranty, and Quantum is not responsible for incidental costs resulting from failure of the product. In the unlikely event that you should need to request a warranty, please contact us at support@highflowfuel.com with your order information and a detailed description of the problem."

Nothing in writing on new or rebuilt, nothing on shipping, nothing on turn around time. Just stating in a nut shell, Lifetime Warranty and to call us.

You want policies in writing. Not verbal that has no weight to it. As mentioned, time will tell. I just hope their there when you need them!

I decided to just bite the small bullet and replace the starboard fuel pump again. The one I bought from Amazon had the painted internals (I assume) and its much louder/whinier than the port side pump. Ordered a paintless pump from mancavemechanic and hopefully be done in the next week.

Just pulled the boat out over the weekend for a full hull polish and seal, new anodes, new bellows on the drives, new seacocks from Groco and thru-hulls, new belts & impellers, fuel filters, and a general cleanup.

Attachments

• 20220320_095759.jpg
    20220320_095759.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20220321_143502.jpg
    IMG_20220321_143502.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Doc

Iggy

Now I would trust "man cave mechanic" over over everything else other than new. The next best thing!

Looks like you added the zincs to the trim tabs or did it come that way? On mine, I added them.

Here is a pic of my old boat. Its now in Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• Sig290.jpg
    Sig290.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
The zincs on the trim tabs were on the boat when I bought it, but get to about 50% or less the last 2 years I've replaced them, cheap enough so I don't mind.

Interesting how different and how similar our boats were. I prefer that more modern badging on the side there, will probably do that on my boat. Fuel/water fills are in different spots, and the windows into the cabin are different too!

jeffk

My other fuel pump was done by Troy at Mancave.
He provides good service.
I went with the other vendor as Troy shut his business down for a bit.

WIngnut

These are rotary vane positive displacement pumps and rely on a downstream fuel pressure regulator to limit dead head pressure. Check your fuel pressure at the rail to be sure you are not in an over-pressure situation which would over-load your high pressure fuel pump. Also as other have said, an under-voltage will cause amperage demand to increase in order to do the same amount of work. (OHMS Law) Loose ground, bad connection. Check static voltage and look for a drop when pump starts.