Launching a 26-28' cruiser with a 2WD Burb

Dka56

My gut says this is not the best choice, but I have an eye on a 2WD 2500 8.1 Suburban and just wondering if this is too much risk for a 2WD vehicle like this.

Granted it's a heavy tow vehicle, but concerned if a slippery ramp would affect this vehicle.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
My gut says this is not the best choice, but I have an eye on a 2WD 2500 8.1 Suburban and just wondering if this is too much risk for a 2WD vehicle like this.

Granted it's a heavy tow vehicle, but concerned if a slippery ramp would affect this vehicle.
FWD or RWD drive?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Wet and slippery will effect any situation. You should have enough weight over the rear wheels. Steepness of the ramp will also effect it. If money is no object, and you are not in any hurry, then I would op for the 4WD. How often and where you launch from in a season plays a part. Other options are, bring others to push if needed, sometimes it only takes just a little. Or carry some rubber matting to throw under the wheels. This is why I traded in my 2WD Acadia for a 4WD Acadia.

Zoomnbyu

Fairly quick way to have yourself showcased on one of the "see if the truck floats" videos. Floating your boat, likely no issues. Pulling her out, um... Imagine a busy ramp, everyone waiting to get in or out. There you are spinning tires, throwing rubber mats under the wheels, asking people who would like to drown you for being a moron to help push. 4wd/AWD or smaller (lower weight) boat. If you can't afford the right tow vehicle you overspent on the boat.

BTW, Enterprise Truck rentals 4WD F350 set up for towing is around $110 per day with towing allowed in the agreement. F250 is even less.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I'm lucky. My ramp is nice and I've never needed 4WD.
All of my normal ramps are no problem. That one was when we were on the Niagara River, it wasn't that steep, just smooth, tires had nothing to grab on to.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Fairly quick way to have yourself showcased on one of the "see if the truck floats" videos. Floating your boat, likely no issues. Pulling her out, um... Imagine a busy ramp, everyone waiting to get in or out. There you are spinning tires, throwing rubber mats under the wheels, asking people who would like to drown you for being a moron to help push. 4wd/AWD or smaller (lower weight) boat. If you can't afford the right tow vehicle you overspent on the boat.

BTW, Enterprise Truck rentals 4WD F350 set up for towing is around $110 per day with towing allowed in the agreement. F250 is even less.
There are boaters, and then there are people that have boats. A true boater would help, rather then criticize, as I have done in the past for others. My son and I where on one of our trailer and float trips. This one was to circumference all of the Great Lakes, which ended up to be 3500 mi and 28 days. Well we found this ramp that was a little weathered from all the years of use and my vehicle would not pull my girl out. So my son put away his phone, gave a little push and we where on our way, no big deal, and we had built another memory for our trip. No one shunned us, they just watch and enjoyed the entertainment. There is positive in everything.

Zoomnbyu

There are boaters, and then there are people that have boats. A true boater would help, rather then criticize, as I have done in the past for others. My son and I where on one of our trailer and float trips. This one was to circumference all of the Great Lakes, which ended up to be 3500 mi and 28 days. Well we found this ramp that was a little weathered from all the years of use and my vehicle would not pull my girl out. So my son put away his phone, gave a little push and we where on our way, no big deal, and we had built another memory for our trip. No one shunned us, they just watch and enjoyed the entertainment. There is positive in everything.
To be fair you can also flip that around. If you show up with a vehicle that can't handle the boat you brought you're putting everyone on the roads and at the ramp at risk. Boaters should be smarter than that.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
To be fair you can also flip that around. If you show up with a vehicle that can't handle the boat you brought you're putting everyone on the roads and at the ramp at risk. Boaters should be smarter than that.
I replaced that vehicle with the same vehicle, only it has AWD.
So in your opinion, Now where do I stand?

cyclops2

I have several steep ramps in hot water. late August the ramp is almost a slide all mid week.

You have not towed until you launch on a brown dry ramp in the morning. Then try to pull your 3 axle offshore racer out in driving rain in late after noon. It is simply TOUGH brown slime We use LONG straps & a 2nd 4 wheeler on clean concrete to pull most boat rigs out.

Last edited:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have several steep ramps in hot water. late August the ramp is almost a slide all mid week.

You have not towed until you launch on a brown dry ramp in the morning. Then try to pull your 3 axle offshore racer out in driving rain in late after noon. It is simply TOUGH brown slime We use LONG straps & a 2nd 4 wheeler on clean concrete to pull most boat rigs out.
We don't live in a perfect world, so you have to adapt.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I've towed with multiple vehicles, most of them 4wd and I can remember one time putting in 4wd because the boat owner asked me to. The tires had slipped once just a little. I suspect I could have made it out in 2wd no prob but since it was their truck and their boat I put it in 4wd as requested. 4wd is best but I think you'd be just fine with the 2wd burb.

I've launched and retrieved a 28ft Sunsation (speedboat, not pontoon) and a 25ft baja over the past 25 years all in 2wd

cyclops2

The real fun is dropping off of a ramp that has guys power retrieving onto the neck of the trailer hitch V. Trailer wheels are in loose water.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The real fun is dropping off of a ramp that has guys power retrieving onto the neck of the trailer hitch V. Trailer wheels are in loose water.
All of the local ramps that I go to, do not allow it. They have signs posted, of course there are those that think the rule does not apply to them.

Reactions: Doc

cyclops2

I have to power load .........My winch is too weak. ... My electric is not working.........

I LOVE to floor it !! ME MACHO MAN.

Sandbar

Go with your gut! Safety takes precedent over everything! Besides, do you want to be that guy?
The one who has to explain the drowned Suburban to his insurance company?