Lithium Ion Batteries in boats?

Sandbar

Anybody here have any experience or information regarding the use of Lithium Ion batteries in an cruiser/marine application? (starting and house battery)
If so,
  • Are there any issues with overheating while installed in an engine compartment (especially during a summer heat wave)?
  • Would they require cooling fans?
  • Can a conventional onboard battery charger be used or does it need to have a setting specific to Lithium Ion batteries?
  • If using solar panels to charge them would the charge controllers that came with the panels be adequate or would something specific to those type of battery be needed?
I look forward to hearing what the collective experience might be out there.

Iggy

For the moment, I would stay away from Lithium. My last boat was a Sig 290 with 5 group 24s AGMs. Total weight was about 250lbs. Cost per battery, about $290. Lasted me 10 years and never pulled them out or charged them over the winter.

You would need to change your shore power charger since the charging profile is very different. The cost is 3 times that of AGM batteries which is the next best thing. Your saving half the weight, a plus but not a big one. Wet cells can be brought down to only 50%, but AGM can down to 40 to 30% depending on brand. A plus for AGMs, that have close to the same charging profile. Lith, is more like 10%, a big plus over wet cells.

But it all depends on how you use your boat! Do you need that extra capacity, and 100 to 150lbs less weight? Also the cost for just one group 24 lithium is between $600 to $1000 depending on brand or a built in BMS system. "battery management system (BMS) that protects the cells from many strenuous circumstances to protect the life cycles of the cells and your electrical system from potential damage."

My current boat, I may upgrade when the current AGMs fail. Since Lith can go down to 10% and be fast charged which would be a great advantage for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

ThumbsUp

For the moment, I would stay away from Lithium. My last boat was a Sig 290 with 5 group 24s AGMs. Total weight was about 250lbs. Cost per battery, about $290. Lasted me 10 years and never pulled them out or charged them over the winter.

You would need to change your shore power charger since the charging profile is very different. The cost is 3 times that of AGM batteries which is the next best thing. Your saving half the weight, a plus but not a big one. Wet cells can be brought down to only 50%, but AGM can down to 40 to 30% depending on brand. A plus for AGMs, that have close to the same charging profile. Lith, is more like 10%, a big plus over wet cells.

But it all depends on how you use your boat! Do you need that extra capacity, and 100 to 150lbs less weight? Also the cost for just one group 24 lithium is between $600 to $1000 depending on brand or a built in BMS system. "battery management system (BMS) that protects the cells from many strenuous circumstances to protect the life cycles of the cells and your electrical system from potential damage."

My current boat, I may upgrade when the current AGMs fail. Since Lith can go down to 10% and be fast charged which would be a great advantage for me!
That's great information, Iggy!

Reactions: Doc

Iggy

I am thinking my current AGMs will last another 2 to 3 years. Every year the price of lithium goes down. Wight is not a factor at all for me, its having more amp hours to use with out damaging the batteries by bring them down to low.