Looks like winter is upon us on the Great Lakes

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Hey SST, did you get what they had predicted for you?
If we get a couple of inches here, Cleveland usually gets a foot, that is the lake effect that goes all the way to Buffalo.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I heard 6ft for Buffalo. So they moved the Browns Bills game. Wussys. Man, the best games are the ones played in snow conditions. Would have been fun to watch. Dang shame.
SST hope you are ready for the white stuff. A white Christmas indeed.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Ya, I remember many years ago watching a Green Bay packers home game and there was so much snow on the field it was a complete white out, and players sliding all over the place.

Reactions: Doc

SST

Hi guys. I made out ok. I got about 15 to 20 inches but that was nothing compared to what happened 10 miles south. They got hammered with 77 inches of snow in places. Friday night I was driving home and it was snowing moderately but still had reasonable visibility. But then it started dropping quick and then POOF! No more visibility! Zero! I missed my exit cuz I simply couldn’t tell where the ramp was. So I kept driving (creeping is more like it) hoping I don’t drive into someone who stopped. About a 1/2 mile further we drove out of the band and back into a general snowfall and made it home ok.

My friend got hammered by that band. His plow guy eventually came with a bobcat to clear his driveway. Crazy storm. Now it’s gonna be in the 40’s all week so all this beautiful skiable snow will melt! Here is a pic from today after our second band during the night. This is nothing compare to my friends.
C6148B33-F18A-482F-BCA1-31E56AD85823.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Wow! My daughter said she seen pictures of the falls, said it was very pretty.
It is one thing to see it on TV, it is a different story to be there.
Every so often we will get hit like that, and trust me I know , it is no fun.
You never get use to it, you just learn to deal with it.
Hope it doesn't melt too fast for you and you get to get your X-country skis on.

SST

Now they are forecasting 2” of rain over the weekend. Put the shovel away and get the pump!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Been there, got the T-shirt.
Mother Nature can be a cruel lady at times.

SST

I was out xc skiing yesterday. Nice day and I’ll be back at it again today. Gotta beat the rain.

Attachments

• C445A030-16E5-4510-9E49-F9498C2DEC11.jpeg
    9.7 MB · Views: 65

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I was out xc skiing yesterday. Nice day and I’ll be back at it again today. Gotta beat the rain.
What is that area in the photo?
Is it some sort of path in the woods, or a frozen creek?

SST

Just an open area within a nature preserve. It’s very popular but fortunately large. Even when it’s busy you rarely see anyone.

SST

Well, here comes round 3. Winds forecasting gusts up to 70mph during Friday night into Saturday morning. I just looked at the NWS 5 miles from shore forecast for Lake Erie. "Expect waves to 24 feet.....Freezing spray.' A lot of that water is going to make its way up the Buffalo River and likely flood inland areas. Even areas way down the Niagara River are forecasting flooding before even reaching the scenic Falls. There's gonna be a lot of water going over the brink!

I'm about as ready as I can be. The generator had its test run a month ago or so. It worked fine so its ready for an outage. I have 25 gallons of gas ready to pour and can syphon another 40 from my vehicles if it gets really bad. The boat is in storage in a pretty strong building...a fortress just about. Catch you on the other side.

I was just thinking, the New York Power Authority just put in the ice boom to protect the water intakes during the winter from moving ice. With these kinda winds coming, I'm wondering if they'll make a mad dash to pull them out so the huge waves don't knock them loose and they go down the river. Watch this website cam over the next several days and watch what happens. This is the northern entrance into the Buffalo Harbor
https://iceboom.nypa.gov/

They may want to retrieve them before the storm so they don't have to deal with this sort of thing again:

I have to laugh because it just dawned on me that the area they store the boom will likely be underwater anyways. Maybe easier just to leave them out in the Lake and hope.

Last edited:
  • Wow

SST

Newest update on this storm: They just upgraded the storm to Blizzard Warning. It doesn't get much worse than that. Plus, the forecasted snow band appears to be lingering around my neighborhood longer than originally forecast. Looks like a potential 3 feet at 70mph! hahaha....see ya next year!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The positive side of this is, you have done your best to prepare for it. There isn't an ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good.
All the skiers (including you) and snow mobile people that will embrace the snow after all the bad has gone through.

SST

A blizzard we got! Add in a little lake effect and bang. school closed and everything else. Today I finally cleared my driveway for the last time. 3 days in a row so as not to get overwhelmed. The snow was light, but it was sticky. I'm surprised the snowblower got through it....but it took a looog time to get through it. Fortunately, I never last power. That made a big difference

Forecast calls for several days of rain and 50 degrees. Annoyed!

Phillbo

Got cold enough last night after sunset I had to put on a hoody..... Left the shorts and flip flops on though....

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I see that you guys are at 64 right now, would that be hoody or tee shirt weather?