Loose cover for bilge ventilation

LAKETIME

Hello, all,

I have a loose cover on the port side deck, which I believe is called a 'PORT VENT', Part# 069A, if I'm reading the parts guide correctly.
It looks like one of the fasteners broke.
Is this something that can be repaired, or should it just be replaced entirely?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

LAKETIME

Hi, Denny,

This came from the Parts Guide. It's that tapering, horizontal piece. It's open on the bottom, for ventilation.
I talked to a rep at the company that made these parts, and he told me that there is a threaded nylon 'bolt' that protrudes, passes through the deck, which is secured by a type of nut/fastener on the other side. From what I could see by peeking under the loose part of this vent, the nylon 'bolt' is missing/broken off of the back of the vent cover. There appeared to be a larger, solid base where the threaded nylon 'bolt' was attached/fused. If I can't find a replacement, maybe I could find a way to drill a pilot hole into that base and secure a screw and large flat washer from the other side of the deck??
When I can get back to the boat, I'll post a photo...

1652361269390.png

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Hi, Denny,

This came from the Parts Guide. It's that tapering, horizontal piece. It's open on the bottom, for ventilation.
I talked to a rep at the company that made these parts, and he told me that there is a threaded nylon 'bolt' that protrudes, passes through the deck, which is secured by a type of nut/fastener on the other side. From what I could see by peeking under the loose part of this vent, the nylon 'bolt' is missing/broken off of the back of the vent cover. There appeared to be a larger, solid base where the threaded nylon 'bolt' was attached/fused. If I can't find a replacement, maybe I could find a way to drill a pilot hole into that base and secure a screw and large flat washer from the other side of the deck??
When I can get back to the boat, I'll post a photo...

View attachment 1537
If you can figure out how you can put another nut and bolt in it, that is the way to go.
If you go with S.S. make sure that it is marine grade, I don't think that the boxes are.

Iggy

I had the same problem when I had my Sig 290. I countersunk pilot holes in the cover and screwed it to the hull. It looked factor if when I was done.

The way Chap had mine, they glued wooden blocks to the cover. Than used blind nuts on the block and than ran bolts though the hull to the nuts. The cover acted as a spring so you could never tighten the bolts enough without bending the cover. So it was going to become loose again.

LAKETIME

I had the same problem when I had my Sig 290. I countersunk pilot holes in the cover and screwed it to the hull. It looked factor if when I was done.

The way Chap had mine, they glued wooden blocks to the cover. Than used blind nuts on the block and than ran bolts though the hull to the nuts. The cover acted as a spring so you could never tighten the bolts enough without bending the cover. So it was going to become loose again.
I think I understand how you approached it; I'm thinking that I'll have to do this in similar fashion. I believe I can cover the screw heads with gelcoat, provided I get just the right amount of depth in the countersink holes. I'm not certain how this will 'bond' to what I believe is a PVC cover.
Here are some images: external view; intact fastener; broken fastener; holes in the deck, where the plastic fasteners were inserted.

Attachments

• Sunesta 252 Port side Vent cover-fasterer holes, stern end.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • Sunesta 252 Port side Vent cover-intact fasterer.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • Sunesta 252 Port side Vent cover-broken fasterer, stern end.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • Sunesta 252 Port side Vent cover- bow end.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 55

LAKETIME

Following up...
I'm not sure these parts will be stamped anymore. The access to the inside of the deck where these are attached is visible, but not accessible. Unless, like so many other areas under the deck, you have the size and flexibility of the average Rhesus Monkey! :w00t2: