NEW snap in carpets

stevenmjames

Hi friends!

My wife and I just replaced our carpets in our Chaparral 226 SSI, our carpets were deteriorating and the back rubber was sticking to our boat. (I'm sure some of you have had the same problem) We just replaced them with new snap in carpets, I cannot tell you how happy we are. Friends of mine suggested the company Matworks, they did an incredible job. If anyone is looking to replace their snap in carpets give this company a call! They had our template and the mats fit perfectly!

Have a safe summer friends!

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Nice. Thanks for the tip. So, you had to put in the snaps once you got the carpets back from Mattworks?

Sandbar

I know this is about new carpet options but I thought Id share an alternate way to prolong the life of your rubber-backed carpets.

I've laid them out on a clean garage floor, hit both sides with a pressure washer, shampooed them, then let them dry.

I then sprayed the back of with Flex Seal. A friend on our dock did this and got an extra 4 years out of their caprets so I figured why not? I tried it and it worked surprisingly well to "fix" the remaining rubber in place while giving the carpets a new rubber back.

stevenmjames

I know this is about new carpet options but I thought Id share an alternate way to prolong the life of your rubber-backed carpets.

I've laid them out on a clean garage floor, hit both sides with a pressure washer, shampooed them, then let them dry.

I then sprayed the back of with Flex Seal. A friend on our dock did this and got an extra 4 years out of their caprets so I figured why not? I tried it and it worked surprisingly well to "fix" the remaining rubber in place while giving the carpets a new rubber back.
I've heard of this technique but it ends up making the carpets hard as a rock. Did it not do that to yours?

Sandbar

I've heard of this technique but it ends up making the carpets hard as a rock. Did it not do that to yours?
This was done for the cockpit carpets which were already stiff on the back anyway so it made no difference. It had no effect on the carpet side and just helped to keep the underside together with a lot less debris falling off of it.
The cabin carpets didn't need to be flex sealed because they were still in great condition, despite being 23 years old. I guess it's because they don't get exposed to the constant UV beating that the cockpit carpets receive.