Planning stages for new garage. Steel vs pole barn vs traditional build

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I'm considering adding a 3 stall garage next fall or depending on cost might be spring of 2023.

I looked at one a friend just built, 40x50 steel, fully insulated. He bought it in 2020 but just finished it up. Cost back then was 20k for materials. 13k for the concrete. Very nice building.

Not sure steel can work for what I want. I don't have room for 40' deep for all 3 stalls. I'm looking at 40' deep for one stall and the other 2 stalls would be 30' deep. A telephone poll, underground electric and underground gas line preclude me from going 40' deep for all stalls.

Thoughts / ideas welcome.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I'm considering adding a 3 stall garage next fall or depending on cost might be spring of 2023.

I looked at one a friend just built, 40x50 steel, fully insulated. He bought it in 2020 but just finished it up. Cost back then was 20k for materials. 13k for the concrete. Very nice building.

Not sure steel can work for what I want. I don't have room for 40' deep for all 3 stalls. I'm looking at 40' deep for one stall and the other 2 stalls would be 30' deep. A telephone poll, underground electric and underground gas line preclude me from going 40' deep for all stalls.

Thoughts / ideas welcome.
Can you go wider and get the extra space you want?
Make it 40' wide and 30' deep.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Can you go wider and get the extra space you want?
Make it 40' wide and 30' deep.
I'm not saying I need the extra space. I need the 40' one for the boat. The others do not need to be that long so no biggie. The reason I mentioned that part was I'm assuming steel building need to be rectangle. Not sure hey can accomdate one long stall and two shorties.

Another item I didn't mention was a carport on the side of the 30 foot stall.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I had forgotten about your your girl.
Ahhh How can ya forget a about my girl. :lmao:

Ain't she purty. :D Just 28.8' long but with trailer she's 35. So 40' gives room to walk around.

Sunsation01.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh How can ya forget a about my girl. :lmao:

Ain't she purty. :D Just 28.8' long but with trailer she's 35. So 40' gives room to walk around.

View attachment 1441
Yes, they both are.
I know what you mean, mine is 23' and on the trailer she needs 30', and just fits, in fact I have to lower the out drive to make it.

SST

I've wanted to "update" my garage. My Focus fits nicely but the F150 takes up a lot of room. Only about 1 foot of space from each bumper to the wall/door. I would really love to put my boat in during the winter as this would inspire me to "work on the boat" during winter. But the current garage door is not wide enough to accept the trailer and it is not tall enough to get the windshield in. I have never explored the cost of modifying it or just replacing it. My current storage location is just too economical to pass up.

I have just enough room to get the snowblower out for which by Monday they are forecasting 12-18 inches. I love a good Nor-easter!

SST

17 inches of snow. Took 4 hours to clear the driveway, parking for tenants and the sidewalk around the house.

here’s my garage made of concrete block and wooden roof. F150 on the left and Focus in the right.
EC345159-59DF-478B-8829-11B7B1896651.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
17 inches of snow. Took 4 hours to clear the driveway, parking for tenants and the sidewalk around the house.

here’s my garage made of concrete block and wooden roof. F150 on the left and Focus in the right. View attachment 1442
If you are not too tired, the plus side of it is, now you will be able to do some X-country skiing.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Wow, that's a lot of white stuff. What do you use to clear it away?

Nice garage. I've love a block one. Best of all. They last forever.

Do you run a bed and breakfast or motel? I didn't know that. Good job clearing.
We got 8 inches. Not to bad. Cleared it with my tractor and blade. We don't get enough snow to justify a snow blower.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
With us being on the west end of the lake most of the heavy snow goes over us and lands in Cleveland.

SST

My house is a duplex and I rent the other half. I have a nearly 23 year old snowblower that is still throwing it fairly well although I think I'm losing compression. I keep nursing this to avoid buying a new one.

BTW, I have managed to get out xc skiing twice before this storm.
4B6A04D8-BE6B-4A62-9294-487F1205D1F2.jpeg

I’ll let someone else cut the track. To much work at this point and time.
Happy trails🤠

Last edited:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Years ago I looked at and wanted to buy a duplex. Could not swing it at that time so that idea went out the window.

You sure have plenty of snow for all kinds of skiing now. Enjoy.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
That is why I liked down hill skiing, I let gravity do all the work.
DSC00348.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Steep hill. Steep enough to be a jump. A guys gots to do something like that in the boating off season. Neat.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I skied a lot years ago when it was not expensive, and I did not mind being cold. My winter trips now are mid spring or early fall in Phoenix, I like lizard weather. Love that heat. lol