Power Steering Fluid Leak - Help

I discovered my power steering system is losing fluid. It got hard to steer about a week ago, so I just added fluid and didn't think much of it because the steering effort returned to normal. But, after running the boat about an hour it got hard to turn the wheel again and when I got home I found evidence of lubricant in the bilge and the power steering reservoir was nearly empty. I called & got on the list for my mobile mechanic to come, but they are 2-3 weeks out and I think it's dangerous to drive the boat the way it is. Anyway, my post is to ask for a little direction on where to look other than the obvious pump itself and the hose that connects to it which neither show signs of leaking. I've got a 2004 signature 350 with Volvo Penta 8.1 I/Os. That means the motors are facing forward, which is nice for pump & belt access, but of course they are mounted all the way back at the transom which is terrible for accessing the steering connections there. If anyone can describe what to look for I'm up for trying to locate the issue before the mechanic can get to me. If there's a diagram or photos of where else the power steering system could be leaking that would probably be helpful. I know the starboard motor has the pump that is used (the port one is a dummy) and I'm guessing there is an actuator or some type of connection behind the starboard motor where the hose I see from the pump leading back connects. Maybe the hose has developed a crack or there's a lose clamp? I haven't tried getting in there yet, so I thought a little pre-info might help when I do.

BTW, I posted this on the Chaparral "Boat Talk" forum as well, so this is a duplication of that post in hopes that I get a reply from all the potential members that may have experience or direction for me.

Reactions: Doc

unplugged

I had this issue a few years back on a crownline with Volvo engine and out drives. The steering ram had a leaking seal. Your best chance for diagnoses is to do your best to crawl in there and look.

I had this issue a few years back on a crownline with Volvo engine and out drives. The steering ram had a leaking seal. Your best chance for diagnoses is to do your best to crawl in there and look.
Thank you! I was able to determine the leak was back behind the motor. My mechanic was able to get to me sooner than expected too and found that the seals on my steering actuator were shot. He ordered a new one and got it swapped out in about 3 hours. I had watched a video on YouTube and decided it was definitely a repair I'd rather leave to a professional with experience replacing them. Good news is I'm back in business and only lost 1 weekend. Not bad for mid-season.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Congrats. Not bad for mid season at all.
I lost last weekend due to if'y weather. Turns out I could have boated Saturday. Sunday though the downpour was vicious. Glad I was not stuck out in that.