Price of dock boxes

SST

I had heard that dock boxes are expensive. I had an add in my inbox so I looked up dock boxes. Wow! Why are they so expensive? When mine finally collapses, I'm not replacing it. Not worth the money for what I use it for.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I saw the title of this thread and thought yeah, a dock box would sure be handy. Now you got me wondering. How much are they?

SST

Some Clubs and Marinas are excepting these as dock boxes. But the fiberglass ones are far better.

That is the least amount compared to West Marine. Here is the web page that I saw all these expensive boxes.

Dock Boxes Sale | West Marine

Earlier this year and as I walked into Home Depot, they had a dock box on display. Not sure if my marina will accept one of these or not.

70 - 90 - 50 - 70 - Deck Boxes - Outdoor Storage - The Home Depot

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I see what you mean. I looked at the west marine ones. They do look sturdier. And they have a lock, which I would require. But they did not show how you secure the box to the dock.

SST

Assuming they are similar to my current box, screwed to the deck through holes in the bottom of the box.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Assuming they are similar to my current box, screwed to the deck through holes in the bottom of the box.
That is what I was guessing but was not sure if marinas would allow you to make screw holes in the dock.

SST

My marina doesn't allow you to screw the box down. They do it. Several months into my first season, I drove down to check on the slip and I see my box is not sitting correctly. So I went and unlocked it and inspected it. They only used one screw to anchor it to the dock and it was loose. Needless to say, I was miffed. I tightened down the first one and put a second one in. If there had been another wind storm, my box would have been blown away. Always inspect other peoples work.

Iggy

I am not in a "Marina" but in a member in a Yacht Club. Clubs generally will let you screw it down to the deck. But they would like, depending on box size. Tow to three 2x4s underneath so water will not collect and rot out the wood. There feeling is, if you damage anything, its your responsibility to fix it. But a few screw holes are not going to do anything.

cyclops2

Approach the owners / manager with building a Pressure Treated box that he approves of on the END of your side of the dock. I got the owners to O K a specific sized box. Long thin & tall. He & owners & boaters Voted on a shape. Almost all loved the odd shape to store things in.

Forgot that a carpenter made all the boxes the same...... ONLY him. $ 200 bucks each. Inside shelves were optional with price agreement with the carpenter. Fantastic deal. No crappy or oversized boxes.