Respect the Sun! Skin cancer sucks!

ThumbsUp

All Boaters beware!!

I just got some basil cell skin cancer surgically removed from my forehead yesterday. It was a very small blemish that kept bleeding and re-occuring over the past year.. They did the Mohs Procedure and luckily I caught it early and am cancer free. They took out a 25mm diameter plug, tested it then stitched it up.. I'd post a pic, but it's gross.. Just want to warn you all, respect the sun, I never did...and I paid a price!

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good advice.
When I was young I didn't need sunscreen. I thought I'd first burn then tan. DUMB.
I have had multiple basil cell cancers removed and also had two squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) removed. SCC In the skin, this cancer is usually not life-threatening. It tends to grow slowly, but it can grow deep.
I see my dermatologist every six months. Normally spots I think might be an issue are not an issue, but he finds ones that I didn't think were an issue and they were skin cancer. Be smart. Find a dermotologist and get checked out. So worth the peace of mind.

ThumbsUp

Good advice Doc! We tend to hide something like this but I'm telling everyone especially the younger boater folks who spend all day half naked in the blazing sun all summer long. There are some really good sunscreen products like the nuetragena oil free 75 or 100 spf which doesn't clog your pores and make you brake out. I never used the old stuff for that reason. When your boating, you get the glare off the water, so many times my face got burned even with a hat. Hope my advice helps!

SST

Long ago and long before my boat I was with some work friends on Jones Beach on Long Island. Out all day and in and out of the water. I was using banana boat sport block 50. Covered from head to toe. Later in the day I noticed a small area on the top of my foot that I missed coverage. A little sunburn. 1/2sqr in. The rest of me was still white as a ghost. I laughed at how well the lotion worked even with all the swimming. I have stayed loyal to Banana Boat ever since.

But even with good coverage you still run the risk. Over the years I’ve had this or that removed. Use good coverage and always get that once a year check up. Better to catch it early than not at all. As a matter of fact I see my dermatologist this week.

Janky

I've been through the same. Have a nice crescent stitch line on the side of my nose because they had to pull skin to cover the excavation. Now it's sunscreen everyday and yearly head to toe checkups!