Retrieving, practicing and home-long wait

SST

Finally it’s home. Only a few more weeks until it can be launched where I keep it. Only a few minor things to take care of. Nothing mechanical, just cosmetic.
Retrieving:
C8B09CF4-E620-4A37-80CA-553938E7E6F4.jpeg

Practicing (not bad first attempt):
96D59DEF-0640-4649-8155-AF70F6FF064A.jpeg

Home:
0C9C3A30-86F6-4128-9749-BD1B1DA74E24.jpeg

Reactions: Doc

SST

Well, as I put the drain plug back in I see the exhaust bellow has fallen off. As I’m trying to re-attach it I see one of the upper drive bolts is coming loose. I wonder what else I’m going to find.
54268442-894B-4385-80C0-4E3589E707F6.jpeg

SST

What is the amount of torque to tighten this nut?

Also couldn’t get the bellow back on. Turns out screw on the clamp is worn and I couldn’t tighten it. Screwdriver kept slipping off. Not even sure the whole bellow had slid all the way forward with the drive full down.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I too am going to do some backing up practice, the older I get the less accurate I get.
I only have 1 ft on each side of the door way, and it will only go in one way, or I am unable to close the door.
20 yrs ago, piece of cake, not so today.

Judging from what you say, and what the photo shows, I would take a serious look at that outdrove.
She still is looking good:), better then most her age.
test063.jpg

SST

Thanks. I text my mechanic and waiting for a reply. This really bugs me because I simply cannot understand how I missed this. At the end of 2020 I scrubbed the haul and outdrive before storage. Taking a sponge to clean the drive…..and not see the loose nut? It never ran last year and sat in my driveway. Even then I was always looking at it.
Time to get a security camera.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Boating is expensive enough without having to have security to protect your stuff.
Even with all the time that I send on mine I miss things.
While running last season I noticed a little water in the bilge, not a lot, maybe a half a cup, never got any worse.
Last winter I put in my new remote oil filter, so this past wk-end, I lit her up and while I was checking to see if the new system had any leaks (none), cool.
While doing this I noticed a small drip-drip-drip of water coming out of my power steering cooler, that I had worked on 2 seasons ago.
Evidently I didn't get it tight enough, it wasn't going anywhere, just needed a half turn with the wrench. Mystery solved.
As I get older, when I think I got it, I look again.

SST

I finally got a hold of the mechanic. We discussed what needed to be taken care of along with changing the impeller which hasn’t been done for at least four years.
But, he told me not to bother bringing the boat to the shop for at least a couple of weeks. He is backlogged with repairs from last year. Reason being, shortage of parts. But not because of China. he says many of the parts needed are made in the US but due to lack of people wanting to work, it has created a shortage. So me and many other will face delays. But at least I’m on the wait list. Seeing as how it’s not going anywhere, I put the tarp on even tho the Fab303 still repelled tons of rain last night.
0BE717CA-D6B6-4E54-8B23-25A434CBB318.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
A lot of people don't go in the water until Memorial Day, so you should be ok. Putting the tarp on her, will slow down the fading action.
Hopefully the good weather and your parts will catch up with each other.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
When getting the bimini on I remembered an issue I had forgot from last season. My livorsi speedometer gauge was leaking oil. I know, oil?????? It leaked out on the dash. The gauge has oil in it so it does not bounce around when at high speeds.

But the Ohio River plugs up my Speedo feeder line after a few hours of cruising. So I ordered a GPS speedometer. They are backordered. I'm looking at a six week wait time. I should get it shortly after memorial day, so I'll have it for most of the season.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
These days I am a left mirror backerupper period. Have a very hard time judging the space between the dock and my girl using the right mirror, I can do it, but I'm just not comfortable with it, and it takes somewhat longer.

SST

These days I am a left mirror backerupper period. Have a very hard time judging the space between the dock and my girl using the right mirror, I can do it, but I'm just not comfortable with it, and it takes somewhat longer.
I am the same way with tight right mirror movement. That’s why I bought the cone to practice in a large forgiving parking lot. It helps.