Test amp gauge & remote oil filter

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
My girl is setting on her trailer in her room, with her out drive off. At the beginning of this year's layup, I added a remote oil filter, and rewired a new isolator.
I would like to test both. Test the remote oil filter for any leaks, and to make sure that the amp gauge is working and reading properly.

So my question is: is it ok to start the engine for a short period of time before it reaches full operating temperature and the thermostat opens up?
And will it blow the existing water out of the engine?
Do I need to remove the water pump belt?
Or am I best to wait until I reinstall the out drive?
Thanks.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Interesting question. I have no clue. :hide:
Will be watching for responses.

Iggy

My girl is setting on her trailer in her room, with her out drive off. At the beginning of this year's layup, I added a remote oil filter, and rewired a new isolator.
I would like to test both. Test the remote oil filter for any leaks, and to make sure that the amp gauge is working and reading properly.

So my question is: is it ok to start the engine for a short period of time before it reaches full operating temperature and the thermostat opens up?
And will it blow the existing water out of the engine?
Do I need to remove the water pump belt?
Or am I best to wait until I reinstall the out drive?
Thanks.
Is it a closed or open cooling system?

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Is it a closed or open cooling system?
Open, I am only going to run it for about 1 minute, enough to get the oil pressure up. I figure if I shut her down before the thermostat opens up, I will not loose that much antifreeze.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, this is one way how I get some of my winter excitement. Small mess, big mess, only one way to find out.
I'm going to wait for Iggy to get back with his prognoses before I pull the plug.
I have spent the biggest share of my life fixing broken things and breaking things and fixing them.
News at 11. lol

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well, Iggy must not have found the answer we were looking for, so I thought the worst that could happen would be to get pink antifreeze al over my floor.
I lit her up, got her up to about 120 degrees, no antifreeze coming out. Oil pressure went up, and no leaks, and the amp gauge is working properly.
Then I thought about past experiences when my car thermostat was stuck open, (no heat) and when it was stuck closed, (would boil over).
So being that the stat had not reached it's opening temp, it was considered (stuck shut).
It was a win-win, no mess, and the testing was all positive.
Now it is on to finishing up putting in the new impeller.

I am kind-of looking forward to next fall when I will be able to change the oil filter on it's remote. ( Nah) lots of good weather and boating 1st.
IMG_4104.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Iggy

Glad to hear it! The remote oil filter is a big help. Been there, done that and its was a pain to reach under the engine. On a past boat, my remote filter was upside down. Which made for a small mess

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear it! The remote oil filter is a big help. Been there, done that and its was a pain to reach under the engine. On a past boat, my remote filter was upside down. Which made for a small mess
Ya, that was a Mercruiser remote, besides being a dumb design with the filer up side down, it is very expensive too.
I found this one, high quality, and it is made right here in America. ( great customer service)
And unless I drop the plastic bag, there should be no mess to clean up. lol

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well my season has ended, I decommissioned my girl today. Heading for Phoenix Az and Carlsbad Ca this week for a month. And winterizing is no fun here in November. Today I was able to test removing the filter from my newly installed remote oil filter during last years lay up. It went absolutely perfect, not one drop spilled.
It only took me 30 years to get it right. Lol