The end is near

SST

About one more week before I pull the boat of the marina. I made a short run this evening just to run it. Beautiful sunset on a well behaved Lake Erie. Good timing as gas prices are climbing.
Here’s a short vid with a photo:

8F8C3DF2-D865-4646-89B2-849573A894A9.jpeg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Yeah, sad. But it appears I've had my last boat ride of the season. Thanks for the pics. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
My last ride was a perch fishing trip in late September. Got my winter stash. Spent my 1st 2 weeks in Carlsbad, Ca.
Now finishing up in Phoenix, Az. Back to my home waters the 1st of Nov.

Reactions: Doc

SST

Well, it's not the end of boating but it is the end of putting it into a slip. I officially notified the marina that I am giving up my slip and will not be returning. They were real nice about it and wished me luck.

My expenses just keep going up and no increase in income....eventually, somethings gotta give. My Long-Term Health Insurance has just gone ridiculously outta this universe. But the real deciding factor, as mentioned before, is the condition of the hull. When I pulled it out, there were just too many dark spots below the waterline [the hull was clean]. I suspect water maybe entering in these spots. I don't think it has made its way inside the boat because the engine compartment has been bone dry for years. But I think "the process" has begun.

So, instead of leaving the boat in the slip for months, I'm just gonna leave it on the trailer and launch it. I believe the cost of repair exceeds the value of the boat so it's not likely I'll invest in repairs.

I will miss those days of just sitting on the boat and not departing the slip. That is a great freedom.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Well, it's not the end of boating but it is the end of putting it into a slip. I officially notified the marina that I am giving up my slip and will not be returning. They were real nice about it and wished me luck.

My expenses just keep going up and no increase in income....eventually, somethings gotta give. My Long-Term Health Insurance has just gone ridiculously outta this universe. But the real deciding factor, as mentioned before, is the condition of the hull. When I pulled it out, there were just too many dark spots below the waterline [the hull was clean]. I suspect water maybe entering in these spots. I don't think it has made its way inside the boat because the engine compartment has been bone dry for years. But I think "the process" has begun.

So, instead of leaving the boat in the slip for months, I'm just gonna leave it on the trailer and launch it. I believe the cost of repair exceeds the value of the boat so it's not likely I'll invest in repairs.

I will miss those days of just sitting on the boat and not departing the slip. That is a great freedom.
You will just have to just find different ways to enjoy your girl.:) Maybe fewer days, longer trips. That is the beauty that I have found in trailering.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I found I really don't mind trailering my boat every weekend. It is better for the boat than sitting in the water and from my experience I can trailer in about the same time it takes me to prepare the boat to be left at the dock. The ramp I launch and retrieve from is just a mile from my house, so that helps too.
Good luck with trailering, I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

SST

I don't mind trailering at all. In fact, I kinda like it. I have several areas to launch and each one gives me a choice depending on the winds. If the winds are relatively calm and therefore a calm Lake Erie, I'll launch where I would have slipped. Only a few minutes and I'm in Lake Erie. If Erie is being nasty, but still a nice day, I can trailer to the other end of the Niagara River and launch near Grand Island. This is a great option as it allows me to bypass the entrance into the Niagara River. The other option is a few miles up the Erie Canal. Only drawback is that it takes an hour to get to the Niagara River and an hour back.

I hope to navigate the Erie Canal this coming season and having it on the trailer will hopefully allow that. But the quirk here is where to launch and then leave the truck and trailer overnight until I return. My usual launch on the canal only allows parking until dusk. The next ramp on the canal is below the locks at Lockport. I explored it this fall while riding my bike and it is kinda small. I don't think the parking spaces will allow my truck and trailer to fit. I estimate my length at about ~34 feet. If I launch along the Niagara River and proceed into the canal, it would add 3 to 5 hours round-trip. So, we'll see.

And of course, there will be Toronto Island this year.

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Dan, I don't know if you have ever run the Niagara River on the other side of the generator plant on the way to Lake Ontario. There are launches on both Canada and US sides. They should let you leave your truck. There may be some points of interest, you may enjoy as a day trip, or an overnighter if you have ever spent the night on your girl. If nothing else you will not burn much gas if you let the current take you all the way to Lake Ontario. And you can do the trip on the whirl pool to the generator plant, You will just need a running start. LOL

SST

I have been in the lower Niagara River a couple of times. Once with my dad in his 18foot Bayliner and once with mine. The trip with my dad was shortly after the guy fishing got sucked down under and drowned. My dads boat and especially mine, had no problems. As long as you keep your speed up and go directly through the swirl, it isn’t going to suck you under. I definitely could feel the swirl as I passed through it. But it couldn’t pull down a 5000lb boat. A little fishing boat drifting in the current, more than likely.

The two US launches on the River, one is in Lewiston and the other at Fort Niagara. If the water level is up launching won’t be difficult. But the day I launched mine at fort Niagara, it was low and I had to push the boat off the trailer beyond the ramp. I never went back. Lewiston would be a very tight fit. I’m not certain I can do a 180 degree turn. If I had my 1996 Bronco, I’d have a better shot at it. But the F150 is longer and makes it difficult in tight spots.

There is a great launch at Port Dalhousie in Canada. I would use this if I ever wanted to cross Lake Ontario to Toronto. It clears me of having to report to Customs upon my arrival cuz I already trailered over the border at Lewiston. Plus it puts me west of the shipping lanes for the Welland Canal. No monster wakes off the lakers. Good overnight parking.

Most of my overnight parking difficulties has mostly to do with the Erie Canal. If it absolutely necessitates, I can launch in Downtown Buffalo and cruise all the way from there. But then adding roughly 2.5 hours just to get to the locks.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have been in the lower Niagara River a couple of times. Once with my dad in his 18foot Bayliner and once with mine. The trip with my dad was shortly after the guy fishing got sucked down under and drowned. My dads boat and especially mine, had no problems. As long as you keep your speed up and go directly through the swirl, it isn’t going to suck you under. I definitely could feel the swirl as I passed through it. But it couldn’t pull down a 5000lb boat. A little fishing boat drifting in the current, more than likely.

The two US launches on the River, one is in Lewiston and the other at Fort Niagara. If the water level is up launching won’t be difficult. But the day I launched mine at fort Niagara, it was low and I had to push the boat off the trailer beyond the ramp. I never went back. Lewiston would be a very tight fit. I’m not certain I can do a 180 degree turn. If I had my 1996 Bronco, I’d have a better shot at it. But the F150 is longer and makes it difficult in tight spots.

There is a great launch at Port Dalhousie in Canada. I would use this if I ever wanted to cross Lake Ontario to Toronto. It clears me of having to report to Customs upon my arrival cuz I already trailered over the border at Lewiston. Plus it puts me west of the shipping lanes for the Welland Canal. No monster wakes off the lakers. Good overnight parking.

Most of my overnight parking difficulties has mostly to do with the Erie Canal. If it absolutely necessitates, I can launch in Downtown Buffalo and cruise all the way from there. But then adding roughly 2.5 hours just to get to the locks.
If the 2.5 hr. ride is a nice one, then it is a cruise. For me it is not how long or how far, it's all about being on the water.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
When I go to Sarnia Canada, which I have for over 25 years, some times 3-4 times a season. It takes me 5 hrs each way, and I can set the clock to within minutes. It is about 1 hr 45 min trailering time. Of course I am up there 2-3 days. I treat all of it as part of the adventure. I usually spend one night on the hook. When I take it, this is were I run my little boat. Not all trips are perfect, but it is better than not going, and wishing I had.
The only sad part of the trip, is when it is over.:cry:
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG
-
IMG_5444.JPG

Last edited: