Transom seal

Sandbar

Anybody ever replace a transom seal on a Bravo III?
If anyone has any experience with such a repair I’d love to hear what’s all involved, if there’s anything to be concerned about and what I can expect to pay.

Sandbar

Are you sure it actually is the seal?
No. But its the educated guess of my marine mechanic who showed me where two very thin streams of water were “trickling” in down the wall while looking underneath the oil pan of the port motor through to the transom. It could be the y pipe I suppose but I suspect that can be best confirmed by pulling the engine and doing a visual inspection. I have had both steering pins replaced using the aftermarket kits so I know they are not the problem...

Sandbar

So...an update of sorts on the potential transom seal leak. Launched a few weeks back with an empty bilge. Literally putted over from the ramp to our slip and found the bilge with water in it (again). Emptied it out and dried it completely. Sat for a week at the dock with not a drop coming in. This would appear to suggest that the transom seal is fine...no?

Had to pull it last week for an impeller change (Overheating) and again on the short trip from slip to ramp, it was full of water again. Might get the mechanic to pull the port engine (where the previous mechanic saw a trickle of water) and check for cracked/corroded y-pipe or missing/loose hose clamps (Merc 4.3L V-6). Any other recommendations??

Sandbar

Update...currently being repaired. The port u-joint bellows detached at transom according to tech. Have also given instructions to do a reseal on all below the water line through-hull fittings and to replace port side transom seal as well as inspect transom. Will update when results are known.

Reactions: Doc

Sandbar

Solved!!! Finally found a competent marine repair shop just south of Ottawa.

As noted above, the port side u-joint bellows was dislodged at transom (probably just above the waterline). So when sitting at the dock, no water would come in but as soon as the boat moved, it would permit water inside. Had them replace the port transom seal for insurance, and inspect the transom for de-lamination while the transom plate and drive was removed. The transom was reported to be solid! There was no evidence that the through-hull fittings were leaking so they were not replaced. No more water in the boat!! Happy day!! Will enjoy a few extra rum after re-launch:)

Iggy

The bellows coming off or leaking always concerned me. I added a 1000 g.p.h. bilge pump just in case. Even with 3 pump I don't think it would keep up, but buy me some time.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
losing a bellow will allow water to enter thru the 2 vent holes and most likely ruin the gimbal bearing. Losing the shift bellow makes for a bigger hole

Sandbar

losing a bellow will allow water to enter thru the 2 vent holes and most likely ruin the gimbal bearing. Losing the shift bellow makes for a bigger hole
Yup. The gimbal was replaced along with a new shift cable. They installed what the referred to as a Transom kit which, I believe, included replacing all bellows.

Last edited:

Sandbar

Curious, how much that service costs. I'll be having to do the bellows on my drives sometime soon...
I had a bit more than the bellows serviced so it's a bit difficult to break it down. But I would think that if you know what your marina charges per hour and you get an estimate of the number of hours they will need to take care of it, then all you'd need to do is find the cost of the part(s) somewhere on-line to give you an approximate idea?

Sandbar

Solved!!! Finally found a competent marine repair shop just south of Ottawa.

As noted above, the port side u-joint bellows was dislodged at transom (probably just above the waterline). So when sitting at the dock, no water would come in but as soon as the boat moved, it would permit water inside. Had them replace the port transom seal for insurance, and inspect the transom for de-lamination while the transom plate and drive was removed. The transom was reported to be solid! There was no evidence that the through-hull fittings were leaking so they were not replaced. No more water in the boat!! Happy day!! Will enjoy a few extra rum after re-launch:)
*Edit* Replacing the bellows sealed everything properly and they found no evidence that the transom seal was leaking. Therefore, the transom seal was not replaced. Sorry if I caused any confusion.