VP Outdrive Oil Plug Issue - DPS-B 1.95

LtColMac17

When changing the oil in my 2013 244 outdrive, I've found milky oil and the drain plug will not tighten and just spins. I have the magnetic plug out, and it appears to have worn threads. It didn't have a lot to begin with, as it has only about 3 threads. I've researched the VP diagrams and it appears PN 3887005 is called for my DPS-B lower gearhousing. I looked up this PN 3887005 on Cecil Marine website and it is 6-7 threads long - much longer looking than the one I pulled from my drive. I looked at the diagrams for other units and the plug I pulled appears to be PN 3854539 (3-4 threads) based on a picture on Cecil Marine website.

I'm going to order the one with the longer threads, but has anyone run across this issue or have advice? I think a longer thread engagement will help. I've had this boat for one year, and the PO told me he always had bi-annual service done by a shop. I'm going to use a new o-ring also on the dipstick.

Iggy

I had the same problem. The threads wear out the more the plug is taken out.

I used a tap and used a bigger plug.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Water in the oil, was oil coming out of the drain plug area? And was the gear housing low on oil?

LtColMac17

Water in the oil, was oil coming out of the drain plug area? And was the gear housing low on oil?
The plug was tight to begin with and the oil was not low, only a little milky. The o-ring and threads on the drain plug definitely have seen better days.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If it is milky or looks like coco, you are creating moisture, or water is getting in from somewhere.