WORST TIME EVER FOR YACHTS OWNERS (INSANE FUEL COSTS $$$) BOAT ZONE

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It has taken me 30 years to to reach those kind of numbers, and I know that everything is relevant. With the cost of fuel today, that is a lot of gallons. My 1st year I averaged $1.12 per gal. This past season, it was around $4.oo
I know that what was is no longer but, I am having trouble liking the look's of the present design of boats, especially the mega yachts.
Lots of glass windows and a lot of fiber glass that looks like it belongs some where's else, and they all look like sisters, just some are a little more radical then others, and some still have the old look that says class and are a thing of beauty.
They remind me of someone that took an inflatable air mattress, deflated it, wrapped string all around it in different directions, and then inflated it again. Old people sometimes have trouble excepting change.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Iggy

The Youtube video is all well and good.

I was paying $3.00 per gal. averaging a $700 per year. Now closer to $5.50. But lets keep numbers round. If my yearly average went to $1,400. Its still the cheapest thing about boating.

My slip fees and club membership is $2,000, winter storage $1,200 Always buying something for the boat, plus maintenance $1,000 if not more.
Insurance $900 per yr.

This year I needed a new fridge, $900. Updated maps $150.

Going on vacation - Slip and mooring fees $500.

So fuel, is like I said "is the cheapest thing about boating." So the same holds true for these boats in the video. If you spent 1 to 5 Million on a boat. Do you think you would be upset over a $1000 to $2000 fill up?

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The Youtube video is all well and good.

I was paying $3.00 per gal. averaging a $700 per year. Now closer to $5.50. But lets keep numbers round. If my yearly average went to $1,400. Its still the cheapest thing about boating.

My slip fees and club membership is $2,000, winter storage $1,200 Always buying something for the boat, plus maintenance $1,000 if not more.
Insurance $900 per yr.

This year I needed a new fridge, $900. Updated maps $150.

Going on vacation - Slip and mooring fees $500.

So fuel, is like I said "is the cheapest thing about boating." So the same holds true for these boats in the video. If you spent 1 to 5 Million on a boat. Do you think you would be upset over a $1000 to $2000 fill up?
I agree, all things are relevant. My 30 year average with my girl = around $3,500 per year. I trailer and no club or storage fees. But now that there is nowhere left to put anything ( lol ) My cost per season is going down, last year my cost for fuel was about $1,400.
You can't put a price tag on boating and being on the water, it is priceless.

SST

I was paying $6/gal this past season. Marina price. The boat wasn't out of the water at a coordinated time where I could fill it at the gas station. My slip fees are also going up this coming season. Not happy about that. I had no mechanical issues at the end of the season so I assume there won't be anything this coming season. BUT, when I pulled the boat out and got the bottom cleaned up, a lot of the blisters underneath didn't look very good this year. I don't think the boat can tolerate another 5 months straight in the water. So I'm am pretty sure I will only trailer it from now on so the boat is dry more than it is wet.

I had an estimate to repair the hull years ago. They wanted $5000 and nearly 2 years out of water. I said no thank you. Add in the factor that I'm getting older, no more bottom treatment applications with ease, keeping it out of the water makes things easier. We'll see how this goes.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I was paying $6/gal this past season. Marina price. The boat wasn't out of the water at a coordinated time where I could fill it at the gas station. My slip fees are also going up this coming season. Not happy about that. I had no mechanical issues at the end of the season so I assume there won't be anything this coming season. BUT, when I pulled the boat out and got the bottom cleaned up, a lot of the blisters underneath didn't look very good this year. I don't think the boat can tolerate another 5 months straight in the water. So I'm am pretty sure I will only trailer it from now on so the boat is dry more than it is wet.

I had an estimate to repair the hull years ago. They wanted $5000 and nearly 2 years out of water. I said no thank you. Add in the factor that I'm getting older, no more bottom treatment applications with ease, keeping it out of the water makes things easier. We'll see how this goes.
That's odd, I remember you talking about it. My girl is 2 years older than yours and spent the first 9 years docked all season, and when I got her there were no blisters. A friend of mine had a 85 Welcraft Nova, and after 9 years he had some blisters. Maybe because I put on a barrier coat and bottom paint it prevented it. They are already there, I don't thick the length of time in or out of the water matters, once they are there, as soon as they get wet they are going to appear again. putting on a moisture barrier is the only way to stop them. Me, I would look at as, what it is , is what it is, and take the money and buy more gas.
Happy New Year, and a safe boating season a head.

Last edited:

SST

Well, the blisters are there to stay. They aren't going anywhere. Most of them have not cracked so no water getting in. But there are other blisters that have cracked open and that's where the water is likely getting into. These are the ones that will make a difference when in the water for 8 hours once in a while vs 5 months straight. I'm not certain if its too late.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Just curious, if the boats they are building today have the same blistering issues.
I started working in the automotive trade doing body work in 1964.
They have come along ways, todays car is not yesterdays car, except in one fashion, they still rust out.

Iggy

What they put in the fiberglass has changed. Its now lighter with the same hard surface. So that same boat is lighter that can take same impact if not more. But fiberglass to date is still the best for boats.