Yes, this site is dying!

Iggy

I hate to say it! I don't see much activity.

Sorry, I don't have much to add. I am a saltwater boater that sold his 29' Chap and bought a 40' trawler. You guy's are more lake boaters in the 21 to 28 foot range with totally different styles of boating.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Invite some of your salt water buddies over here. Would love to have them.
I'm a river boater
I will keep out the spam and keep the site running but it takes you guys to make it interesting. Invite some more in and maybe we can liven things up a bit here.

SST

Invite some of your salt water buddies over here. Would love to have them.
I'm a river boater
I will keep out the spam and keep the site running but it takes you guys to make it interesting. Invite some more in and maybe we can liven things up a bit here.
I like this site not having to search through all the spam. But, one thing I noticed is that there is a lot of dead posts from LONG ago and many categories to choose from. Just for one example, you have Boat News and General Boat Discussion. Merge them into one forum as Boat Discussion. Trim the fat. If its not been active for a LONG time, remove it. A couple of times I've posted and didn't pay strict attention as to where I posted it and had difficulty finding it again. Just my thoughts.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I like this site not having to search through all the spam. But, one thing I noticed is that there is a lot of dead posts from LONG ago and many categories to choose from. Just for one example, you have Boat News and General Boat Discussion. Merge them into one forum as Boat Discussion. Trim the fat. If its not been active for a LONG time, remove it. A couple of times I've posted and didn't pay strict attention as to where I posted it and had difficulty finding it again. Just my thoughts.
Good suggestions SST. I am swamped with a kitchen remodel but will do as you suggest it just might take longer than normal.

Sandbar

Good suggestions SST. I am swamped with a kitchen remodel but will do as you suggest it just might take longer than normal.
Perhaps don't remove the old posts but create an "archive" thread where you can dump them and people can peruse them them if they so choose?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Perhaps don't remove the old posts but create an "archive" thread where you can dump them and people can peruse them them if they so choose?
I've done as i said I would do. All RSS posts were removed. I combined forums so that there are just a few to choose from. We do not have enough posts to use archive ...old posts are at end of some forums, no biggie. They only get attention if someone adds a post to them. And that is okay. I have no problem with reviving an old thread if a poster sees the need. It's all good and I'm here for fun, entertainment and to learn a thing or two. The site is not dying but it is moving slowly. Better than not moving at all.

If anyone has suggestions on things to make the site better / more user friendly please post them or PM them to me. I'm happy to listen and update the site if the request is possible.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I've done as i said I would do. All RSS posts were removed. I combined forums so that there are just a few to choose from. We do not have enough posts to use archive ...old posts are at end of some forums, no biggie. They only get attention if someone adds a post to them. And that is okay. I have no problem with reviving an old thread if a poster sees the need. It's all good and I'm here for fun, entertainment and to learn a thing or two. The site is not dying but it is moving slowly. Better than not moving at all.

If anyone has suggestions on things to make the site better / more user friendly please post them or PM them to me. I'm happy to listen and update the site if the request is possible.
I do not believe that it is dying. I believe it is how things are presented. For instance why has My Girl gotten over 3K views and hardly any response. So I thought lets see what happens when I put it (My Girl Show & Tell) on the net.
This is what popped up on Bing.
The rule of thumb is that, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. We have the viewers, just no participants, and that is ok, we just need things that will get them to respond. We here do not respond to everything, only things that we know about, or things that interests us, and then we respond. This is a nice well maintained site with a lot of good people on it.
:my2cents:

My Girl, Show & Tell | Net Boat Talk

Jan 19, 2021 · My 1st retrofit came off of a 1987 285 XLC. like the one in the photo, this I had done by a professional, it was above my pay grade. I had it shipped up from Georgia. It had to be cut into 3 sections,

• Love
Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Great idea Denny!!!! :tiphat:
I have to agree with the 20% 80% raito. All the forums I run are much the same.

Every post has the chance to be a hit for Bing or Google or Duck Duck Go (my fav search engine cause they don't track you). You never know what word combination someone will type that might bring new blood here. Course 1 out of 100 hits will join and then only a certain percentage of those will post and be active. It's all a numbers game. Growing slow and steady is the best way to build a long lasting forum site. We are on our way. :D :thumb:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
And my hat goes off to you:tiphat:you can be proud of what you have built here.
I have always felt it is better to have Quality over Quantity

ThumbsUp

I hate to say it! I don't see much activity.

Sorry, I don't have much to add. I am a saltwater boater that sold his 29' Chap and bought a 40' trawler. You guy's are more lake boaters in the 21 to 28 foot range with totally different styles of boating.
Hey Iggy, I've had my eye on trawlers for several years...I love the look the roomyness and less canvas. We were in Sault St. Marie and I saw this awesome Nordic Tug docking flawlessly with his bow thrusters. I have dreams of cruising the great loop and Bahamas maybe some day...I would love to hear your story on Trawlers! Thanks Randy

Attachments

• 20210801_151138.jpg
    20210801_151138.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 94