Bunks need repair

SST

Yesterday while trimming branches, I noticed that my bunk carpets are in poor condition. I knew that eventually I'd have to replace them. I was hoping for next year....nope, this year.

I pulled back a portion of the carpet and the wood appears to be in good shape. I was thinking of putting some kind treatment to the wood to help preserve it before attaching the new carpet.

Is this a good thing to do? Will it have some kind of negative impact on the new carpet? Thought I would check before I went ahead with the repair.

Thanks

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
And a couple of good coats of Rust-Oleum will work well, if you elect not to go to all the work of using a sealer.

How to Waterproof Outdoor Wood [Fast and Effectively]

https://startwoodworkingnow.com › how-to-waterproof...

Feb 10, 2022 — Before you waterproof the wood, it must be dry and free of any varnish or paint residue. To ensure that oil, varnish or glaze stick, you should ...
Method 1: How To Waterproof... · ‎Method 2: How To Waterproof... · ‎Method 3: How To Waterproof...

SST

And a couple of good coats of Rust-Oleum will work well, if you elect not to go to all the work of using a sealer.

How to Waterproof Outdoor Wood [Fast and Effectively]

https://startwoodworkingnow.com › how-to-waterproof...

Feb 10, 2022 — Before you waterproof the wood, it must be dry and free of any varnish or paint residue. To ensure that oil, varnish or glaze stick, you should ...
Method 1: How To Waterproof... · ‎Method 2: How To Waterproof... · ‎Method 3: How To Waterproof...
Thanks for that info. I will likely take the easy path and apply the Rust-Oleum. Something to do while it's raining out.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for that info. I will likely take the easy path and apply the Rust-Oleum. Something to do while it's raining out.
Make sure that the wood is totally dry, other wise you will seal the moisture in the wood.

SST

I have to unbolt and remove 4 boards and put them in the garage to dry. It’ll be a couple of days before the carpet arrives anyway.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If you can, strip off the carpet and put them in the sun, it takes a long time for wood to dry. The thicker the wood the longer. And the carpet will not let the wood breath. How long has it been since the trailer has been wet?

SST

24 hours. I pulled the carpet of each bunk board. Sections of the wood are soaked. I’m going to stop at Home Depot and check on new wood.

I have 2 sections 13ft long and the other two 9ft long. All 2x6.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
24 hours. I pulled the carpet of each bunk board. Sections of the wood are soaked. I’m going to stop at Home Depot and check on new wood.

I have 2 sections 13ft long and the other two 9ft long. All 2x6.
Probably your best bet. Hopefully they will be straight, and won't cost a million dollars.
How long do you have before you have to get your girl out?

SST

If nothing breaks……Nov1st.

Here is a pano picture of the old wood. They are not in terrible shape and seem to be drying quickly. I could get away without replacing them. But having to still remove the stables, sand them and treat them, can’t say I want to do all that work. I can pick up new boards at Lenco Lumber today for 4 planks for about $60.

Attachments

• F9BD7715-DD06-480C-B65D-17760574E7CA.jpeg
    16.7 MB · Views: 79

SST

New vs old:

DAC1D591-BA1E-444A-95D2-6B255D4333B9.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If it were me I would go for new. Are you going to cover all the wood, or just where the boat rests?

SST

The dimension of the carpet will not allow for complete coverage. About 2 inches will be exposed underneath.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Actually the more wood you have show the better for the wood to dry out.

SST

I was thinking of that also. I was thinking that instead of putting the carpet evenly around the plank, I would put the carpet on so that the base of the plank would be exposed and gravity will allow water to drip out instead of collecting between the carpet and the plank.

SST

Still waiting for my carpet sections. Probably waiting to be stitched together in China.

SST

Finished. Last night I stabled the carpet with stainless steel staples. You can see how I placed the carpet on the board so as any moisture will be pulled down by gravity and easily drain off.
09154E19-1E20-4A41-99C4-BAF9977C0C19.jpeg

The bottom of the exposed area
is the lowest point.

Today I mounted them back onto the frame. Most of the bolts lined up fairly well only needing a random tap of the hammer. 14 more years.
C7EED671-5FD6-4641-933A-9993C77A3190.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Finished. Last night I stabled the carpet with stainless steel staples. You can see how I placed the carpet on the board so as any moisture will be pulled down by gravity and easily drain off.
View attachment 1662
The bottom of the exposed area
is the lowest point.

Today I mounted them back onto the frame. Most of the bolts lined up fairly well only needing a random tap of the hammer. 14 more years.
View attachment 1663
Nice work, looks professional

Reactions: Doc