Boating Oops

Phillbo

1635965075161.png

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
It happened a few years ago on the Chesapeake Bay in the area of Annapolis, Md. i was boating at the time and the VHF radio was buzzing with calls. I was in the area but was late to the scene. Nobody was hurt in the collision. The Coast Guard conducted an investigation but to the best of my knowledge the results were not made public. The local rules experts concluded responsibly was contributory. The Give Way Boat (powerboat) failed in its obligation to alter course to avoid a collision with the Stand On Boat (sailboat under sail). And the Stand On Boat failed in its obligation to alter course in an emergency situation to avoid an imminent collision.

boat02.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have come to the conclusion after all of my years of boating that there is no right of way on the water, because no one knows that there is one.
So I will give every time that the situation arises.
Consider what is possible while you are on the water, and be ready.

Sandbar

Years ago I had the family with me at the New Smyrna beach. Tide slipped in on us. I had a van on the beach, we barely made it up the ramp to get off the beach.

Love being able to drive on the beach. Heading back to New Smyrna later this year.
Yikes!! I was amazed at how quick the tide can come back in there too.

Spent some time at Port Orange a couple of winters ago. Lovely spot and yes, driving on the beach in that area is kinda handy! And cycling up and down it is great fun too. Took a little tour down to New Smyrna and Ponce Inlet as well. Lovely area and plan to return with a 5th wheel as soon as my wife retires. :)

Just watch out when in the water there (especially New Smyrna). It is the shark-attack capital of the world!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Wife and I spent a week there last Oct. Great time. Right on the beach. Drove on the beach and got in the water ...up to mid calf only. No sharks there. LOL Boy has that place grown up. So many new places since the last time I was there 20+ years ago. Still, we had a good time. The Garlic, a top rated Italian Restaurant is FANTASTIC. We also ate at Ponc Inlet and in Daytona at a couple ocean front places. All good. Talking about it makes me want to go back NOW. LOL

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I maybe using the right side mirror, but not the drivers side.
Maybe they staged it for YouTube

SST

The sad part is they had plenty of warning to move and gunk hole those boats....
I read your post and at first I generally agreed. But watching the video imaging on the news and ALL those boats…….I began to ask myself…..”To where?”

I’ll bet most of those boat owners don’t have a trailer or vehicle to tow it. How many marina’s have hundreds of transient slips waiting to accept evacuees? I’ll bet none. My guess is they are left there cuz there’s no place to go.

What impresses me the most is the strength of Fiberglas. Did you guys see the large boats sitting on only the floating dock pillars? Amazing. How about those cruisers stuck in-between 5 story condo buildings. They are literally parked in the parking lot.

How long will it take for these boats to come to market?

Reactions: Doc

Phillbo

I weathered 3 named storms on my sail boat in the bahamas years ago. One I stayed in the marina on the boat to keep lines tight. The other 2 I stripped the boat and ran it up in to the mangroves as far as I could get it and layed out every anchor and line I had. Mangroves protect you from the wind and have very strong root systems.

It was the surge that caused the damage in the picture above...