Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Chit happens ... :(

boatoops.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
A friend of our son in law bought his first boat years ago. He launched it and noticed it was taking on water. He panicked. Did not know what to do. He called our son in law who happened to be boating with us at the time. First thing he asked, did you put the drain plug in? Guy says the what? :lmao: Duh, that was it. I'm sure he's not the first nor last to pull that stunt. Even seen experienced boaters get busy with other stuff and forget the plug ...at least they know what to do when that happens.

Chap264

If you launch your boat each time, you definitely need to prepare a checklist of "do`s" while in the staging area. The drain plug is the most critical, second being removal of the transom straps. Don't get in a hurry.

Reactions: Doc

Sandbar

A friend of our son in law bought his first boat years ago. He launched it and noticed it was taking on water. He panicked. Did not know what to do. He called our son in law who happened to be boating with us at the time. First thing he asked, did you put the drain plug in? Guy says the what? :lmao: Duh, that was it. I'm sure he's not the first nor last to pull that stunt. Even seen experienced boaters get busy with other stuff and forget the plug ...at least they know what to do when that happens.
Also, its a never a bad idea to leave the engine hatch open on the first launch of the season, just in case some of the plugs/seacocks/fittings/hoses loosened during winterizing are not tight and spewing water into the bilge! Better to do a visual in that area than be “unpleasantly” surprised.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Reminds me when we took my girl through the Soo Locks, they said do not tie the lines to the boat.
That is where Great Lakes boating is safer, you don't have to allow for the tides, just strong winds.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Those little racers are FAST. They race them at Marietta on the river each summer. Called the River Roar. Fun to spend the day watching them fly around the course.

The video before them is insane. WTH was wrong with that guy?

SST

Years ago, after picking up the boat from the mechanic, I launched. Thankfully, I had a friend with me who drove the boat while I took a look at the engine while we putted around. I began to see water in the engine compartment. More and more! I then realized the drain plug wasn't in place. The only way to get the water out initially was to cruise around so the water would be sucked out. Eventually the game plan was return to the ramp, put it on the trailer, drain it and install the plug. We did that and put it back into the water and not a drop occurred.

I should have done a walk around to check everything before launching.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Mine comes out once a year when I wash the bilge and the engine, that is the only way to get rid of the water. I set the plug on the swim platform along the 9/16 end wrench to put it back in with.

SST

The way my boat sits in the driveway, pulling the plug doesn't work well. I have a small Craftsman wet-vac that does a great job. Dry as a bone! Also use the wet-vac if the boat is in the water. If rain water finds a new path in, gotta vac it out.

Good to the last drop.

cyclops2

Always in. Except for winter storage. Quick tilted drain. Then back in.

I motored around with a plug out. Got on plane for couple of minutes.
I use a Plumbers Test plug. Tapered with a wingnut the spreads the rubber tight in the hole. There is always a spare next to the hole.