Getting Closer 2021

SST

They're in. This is the Dockside Bar and Grill. Very popular all summer. Western end of tonawanda creek/erie canal.
IMG_2591.JPG

tomnjo

Our slip last year......
20200627_153318 (2).jpg

This years slip complete with a list. No more ugly growth on the bottom!!
20210227_133311_1614463511361.jpg

SST

Not quite yet:

Weather Alert
Winter Weather Advisory issued April 20 at 4:13AM EDT until April 21 at 2:00PM EDT by NWS Buffalo

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 2 PM EDT WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches. * WHERE...Niagara, Orleans, Erie, Genesee, Wyoming, Chautauqua, and Cattaraugus counties. * WHEN...From midnight tonight to 2 PM EDT Wednesday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions will impact the Wednesday morning commute. This will be a heavy, wet snow, and may result in isolated power outages and downed tree limbs. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow accumulations will be lower along and immediate lakeshores.
A warning is issued when a hazardous weather or hydrologic event is occurring, imminent or likely.
A watch is used when the risk of a hazardous weather or hydrologic event has increased significantly, but its occurrence, location or timing is still uncertain.
An advisory is issued when a hazardous weather or hydrologic event is occurring, imminent or likely.

Phillbo

Upper 70's and low 50's predicted for my upcoming 5 day trip next week.... I love spring on the lake.

SST

Upper 70's and low 50's predicted for my upcoming 5 day trip next week.... I love spring on the lake.
As annoying as this system is it's actually a good thing as we need the water. I can see the lake level is a bit lower.

It's kinda funny being surround by two Great Lakes and still be headed for a drought.

SST

Home from storage. No issues with it other than the teak platform which I'll do when the weather is a bit warmer on a consistent basis. Today it was windy and 35 at the time of pick up.
IMG_2603.JPG

SST

Home from storage. No issues with it other than the teak platform which I'll do when the weather is a bit warmer on a consistent basis. Today it was windy and 35 at the time of pick up. View attachment 1108
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG

We had a long stretch of dry weather so I was able to get the platform done and the railings.

I've been kinda worrying about who my new neighbor would be. I stopped down at the marina and was pleased to see a 24 foot Sun Deck. Plenty enough space for both boats in the slip and he's not towering over me.

The only hurtle is my heart. No decision has been made and therefore my boat is (as we say in the Airlines) Indefinitely Delayed.

willbaker13

May is the wettest month for Austin and it's been nothing but on and off rain for three weeks. Next weekend not looking any better.

Sandbar

Docks are in at the military base on the Ottawa River (eastern Ontario) where we keep Signature 270. :)
Need to wait another week or so until the blackflies die off (they will drive you to insanity) and the spring flooding has receded enough to give us our beaches back lol! Soon!!!
20170715_143056_001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

willbaker13

Broke two bones in my arm Sunday so even when the weather turns nicer will be out of commission for several weeks. I thought 21 was supposed to be better then 20...ugh

• Sad

SST

Ohhhhhh how that sucks!

Back in the winter of 2001 I failed to make a turn while skiing and exited into the wooded area. I was fortunate that I didn't hit a tree directly, but my left ski got caught in a fallen tree and twisted until both bones snapped in the lower leg. I had closed my eyes before entering the trees and fortunately I felt nothing.......until I came too. Boy did that HURT! haha Recovery was 3 months.

The open heart surgeons office called me this morning to skd an appointment. This makes me unhappy. I was hoping to get the Trans Catheter surgeon [stent] but he is clearly pushing me towards open heart. 3 months of hell on the way.

Good luck with the healing. One thing you'll likely get out of this with your healed bones is that they will become great weather forecasters. If you feel the pain, somethings coming. I can't wait for my chest to become the primary forecaster. UGH!

• Wow

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Dang guys. Good luck healing your arm willbaker13. And bests wishes to SST with whatever route they go. I had triple bypass, no fun but really one month of semi down time. After that you slowly get back into things. Can't lift much (but I don't recall teh details ...I had it in 13). I had a widowmaker. No way for a stint. Once done kinda glad they did it with the bypass. It worked great.

SST

After talking with the doctor it's open heart-bypass with valve replacement. I'm going with the cow.

Surgery is skd for 6/23 but the airshow is 6-19 and 20. I decided to launch the boat and get in two week and then pull it back out. I'll have enough time to clean the hull and re-winterize it in the fall. Although putting it back in in September is a possible goal.

Just practicing while I'm still in the driveway:
IMG_2665.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Best wishes SST. No fun but it is amazing what the doctors and nurses can do these days. Simply amazing. I'll bet on you boating in Sept or maybe even August.

SST

Hi all, here's my update. What a frinkin' ride! Holy COW! haha

I never did put the boat in as I wasn't secure in the existing artery. I was kinda afraid to launch the boat, something happens and then have somebody else take care of it. I didn't want to burden somebody else. So I suffered with it in the driveway.

The "crew" at the hospital was very good. My friend also works there. She watched over me through the whole thing. Having a friend watching your back sure relieves a lot of stress. Just seeing her walking into the room to say hello was awesome.

Having read various items I thought recovery was going to be hell or worse. ICU for a few days was a bit "choppy" but doing much better than I expected. Then xfr'd upstairs to my own room and immediately they started me walking. Stairwells. On the 5th day, I was released and went to my parents house. Some issues came up but the Visiting Nurse Association helped with it. They are great. Today, two weeks after surgery, I'm home!

Ya wanna know what was the hardest part of hospital recovery? Having to place your meal order they day before KNOWING it was going to be awful! Cooking for a large mass of people has gotta be tough and I appreciate the work they have to do. But man, when your mom is a great cook, hospital food has tough competition.

Tentative plan is to put the boat in at the beginning of August. With help.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
That is awesome news. Congrats. To be considering being in the water in August is fantastic and just thinking of that will help with your recovery.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Dan, glad to here you are doing well, I'm sure your girl misses you as much as you miss her.
Heal fast, stay positive.