Getting Closer 2021

SST

Hey Dan, glad to here you are doing well, I'm sure your girl misses you as much as you miss her.
Heal fast, stay positive.
Thanks guys. Recovery is moving along with some potholes along the way. I keep debating on whether to put the boat in this year or not. It is way to early at this point. The sticky points on putting it into the slip is that I'd have to either put bottom treatment on or clean it when it comes out. Either way I'd have to climb around underneath. I don't feel like doing that this year. haha. The other thing is I'd have to winterize it again. It is currently in a winterized state. Not sure I want to do that again just for a month at the slip as bad as I want to.

But next week I'm allowed to return to driving. I've been doing some stretches to get my arms loosened up. Sat in both vehicles to practice.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Yeah, healing is a slow process. You can't rush it dang it. Glad you are making progress even with the potholes.
I'd have to agree if you have to do all that yourself you best not put your baby in. If you can find someone you trust and can afford to pay to winterize and do the bottom then boating could be possible. Or maybe hitch a ride on a dock buddies boat. Not the same, or as much fun but better than being on land. Good luck.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
You could come to Toledo, and I'll let you drive my girl, it would almost be like driving yours's. :unsure:

Last edited:

SST

I’ve decided not to put the boat into the slip this year but I did pay my deposit for next year. My friend took me out in his boat the other day. It was nice but not as nice as mine would have been?. I may still launch for a day but that won’t happen until September.

The gel coat is showing signs of fading and the port side isn’t even facing the sun. So before the rain arrives here I got a little exercise and lightly did some rubbing and waxing with a 3M product. You can see the difference.

0105A76F-54AF-4AAA-A698-6640512F7E33.jpeg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I've used that 3M product. As we can see on your boat ...it is AWESOME!!!!! Good job. Just don't over do it.

SST

Update: Recovery has been a little more difficult than expected. Breathing has been difficult due to fluid build up in the chest cavity thus preventing the lung to fully expand and therefore having shortness of breath. Twice I’ve landed back in the hospital leading up to having the fluid drained. Today, I hope to be discharged and go home.

Staff here has been great. My first night here was amazing. Most of the nurses must have come from Sport Illustrated. It made my stay a little more “fun.”

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Ahh man. Sounds rough. Good luck getting out of there and back home. Best wishes for steady recovery.

SST

Boy when you’re in the hospital for several days you really learn how slow the cog turns. “Hurry up and wait” really does become the mantra. After waiting 5 days for that last cog to move I’m finally home. But the doctor reduced my lifting weight limit down to 5 pounds. That kinda means no more polishing the gelcoat for a awhile. This helped keep me busy. Well it could be worse. I could be trying to get out of Afghanistan. Yikes what a mess.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Glad you are home. I've played that waiting game more than once. No fun at all. Hospitals are the worst for it.
You can do this. Take it easy and follow doctors orders so you heal up a quick as possible. Good luck.

SST

Well the 2021 season is complete. Boat is now officially in storage. I was going to store it next weekend but the weather forecast for the entire week into next weekend is bad. Today was sunny so I delivered it. When I got home it was kinda sad…..no boat sitting there. Just a big empty space. 6 months to go. 😁
5AF5AB8F-5F15-4AB3-8EF5-15AAAD97BFA2.jpeg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Ahh yeah, always sad putting them to bed. I did mine earlier this month. Now I look at it as 6 months to save up for next boating season. For what I spend on boating there is no way I could afford to do it year round. Sad but true. So, I dread the winter break but try to look at it as a chance to save up for next boating season. Works for me.