Post a *PIC* of your latest purchase...

Phillbo

dog.jpg

jsather007

I wondered the same thing. So I down loaded the manual, I really don't understand the need. But, than I don't wake board.
Keeping a consistent speed if really important when you are wakeboarding. A fluctuation of a couple MPH makes a difference. The driver should be able to focus on where they are going, keeping the boat straight and the safety of the person at the end of the rope. The last thing needed is for the driver to be staring at the speed and constantly adjusting the throttle in small increments to try to keep it consistent.

With me driving my own boat it is next to impossible and really frustrating, and I have about 20X more experience driving my boat than anyone else. Now if I am trying to wakeboard myself and anyone else is trying to drive the boat, good luck. Major fluctuations in speed as well as on and off plane.

It would be easier on a new boat in general with fuel injection and probably more power.

Outside of board sports though this would be totally unnecessary.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
My son in law is a wakeboarder from way back. He still has his 89 ski natuque with a nice tower on it. He would love one of those to maintain an exact speed. he hurt his shoulder a few years ago so does not do as much trick wakeboard stuff as he did a few years back.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Just bought this yesterday. Halo20+ radar
Does it do the same thing that the ones that spin around with the 2 blades?
Is one better then the other?
I know nothing about radar.

Iggy

Does it do the same thing that the ones that spin around with the 2 blades?
Is one better then the other?
I know nothing about radar.
Well, all things be equal. No, its not better. What I mean is, an open array that is 20 years old. The Simrad that I have, could be better.

The open array is what you are talking about. Those will give you more power and better target separation. Every radar has a beam that it sends out. That beam, as in the open arrays could be 1 to 3 degrees wide. The model I have is 4 degrees wide, so it could see 2 buoys as one depending on distance. When I say 2 buoys, I mean the red and the green at the same gate. Which is less likely with an open array. Which is target separation. The other is power, but you have the earth's curve so you may want to mount it higher for distance. That power will help in distance and though bad weather which will cut your range down.

Though may boating years, I have been in fog a few times. My first 2 boats did not have radar and it was nerve racking in fog!! Years ago the wife and I went to the N.E. Boat show. We walked by a display with radar domes. The short of it, she bought one! She said never again, I am buying it.
Like the saying goes, I want leave home without it.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for explaining it. That is one safety feature that would be nice to have, but I would not be able to get my girl in or out of my building, I have only about a 2 inch clearance.

Iggy

Thank you for explaining it. That is one safety feature that would be nice to have, but I would not be able to get my girl in or out of my building, I have only about a 2 inch clearance.
The pic of your boat is really small. Can you mount starboard on the underside of the arch coming out in front of it. I hope I am explaining this right? Than the radar would be lowered to the level of the bottom of the arch. That might give you 2 or 3 inch more inches.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the idea. but would the sides of the arch obstruct the signal?
If I put it on I would mount it to the bottom of the arch. From the floor to the bottom of the arch
is 6ft 7in.
What are the dimensions, do they make them in different sizes?
0615141803b (2).jpg
0615141803b (2).jpg

Iggy

To a degree yes, but if your moving even headway your signal is going to go over different area, or patch of water.

As to size, general they come in 18, 20 and 24 inch size. Hight will depend on the brand. Better to have than to not have.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If I mounted it up side down on the under side of the arch does it matter?

Iggy

I don't think you could do that. You would need to call tech support. I do know that most have some sort of adjustments. Let say it not dead centered from port to starboard, or its tilted to high or too low. Up side down, I don't think you could.

Here is a thought that maybe you could play with. Mount the dome on starboard, come up with a quick disconnect/mount system. In docking mount it underneath and underway it seat above.

Even better, find a new slip or cut way enough so you have more than 2" clearance. :pat:

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info and feed back on mounting. I'll do some research and check my options.
Docking is not an issue, it's going in and out of my building.
Something around 12in, in diameter would be perfect.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Weather is going to be in the 50's finally mid week. I plan to pull this baby home on Weds. :D

19.JPG

jsather007

Part of my electronic upgrades will be a stereo system. I already have the head unit in hand but just got the speakers, tower speaker enclosures and amp. This amp will not put out anything close to what it states on the box, but if it pushes a fraction of that it will be all I need. Remember, this is a budget project.

Not pictured are the speaker enclosures, they are aluminum and match my tower.

20210216_110547.jpg

20210216_110009.jpg